• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HITMAN97B10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I have a security clearance and I am required to provide information on my immediate family. However, I am also required to list any steprelatives I may have.

My question is if my father remarries when I am 30 years old, is the woman he marries still considered my stepmother by law?

Whether yes or no, if someone could point me to some legal definition of stepparent or provide a previous case, I would greatly appreciate it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

I have a security clearance and I am required to provide information on my immediate family. However, I am also required to list any steprelatives I may have.

My question is if my father remarries when I am 30 years old, is the woman he marries still considered my stepmother by law?

Whether yes or no, if someone could point me to some legal definition of stepparent or provide a previous case, I would greatly appreciate it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I do believe that she would still be considered to be a step relative for the purposes of a security clearance.

As far as finding any case law or any legal definition, google is your friend.

Proserpina

As the others have indicated - yes.

The term 'step' applies whether the "children" are minors or adults.

I'm curious as to why you're asking though - is there something in someone's past which may present a problem?

when in doubt, list. Otherwise you may face you clearance going bye bye ; all because you don't list because you see no reason to list.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">