• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement check question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sparker076

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, Franklin county.

Hi guys I am new here and trying to figure everything out, if anyone happens to know this answer I would greatly appreciate there input, I got a settlement check from progressive for my car that was deemed totalled. My question is do I have to report this on my taxes to state or federal and will it hurt my taxes? Also I am on welfare and I want to know if I have to report this and if I do will i lose my benefits? I have 2 children and my spouse and I now have to make extra trips to and from work because of only having one car and it is really putting a strain on the other vehicle which isn't in the best of shape to begin with :( I am by no means a rich person obviously but now out a car and using money from the settlement check of my totalled car to fix up my one remaining car I have left.

Proserpina

Hi guys I am new here and trying to figure everything out, if anyone happens to know this answer I would greatly appreciate there input, I got a settlement check from progressive for my car that was deemed totalled. My question is do I have to report this on my taxes to state or federal and will it hurt my taxes? Also I am on welfare and I want to know if I have to report this and if I do will i lose my benefits? I have 2 children and my spouse and I now have to make extra trips to and from work because of only having one car and it is really putting a strain on the other vehicle which isn't in the best of shape to begin with :( I am by no means a rich person obviously but now out a car and using money from the settlement check of my totalled car to fix up my one remaining car I have left.
Can you clarify which type of welfare?

latigo

Stop fretting! The settlement check simply replaces a former asset. It is doesn't represent income.

LdiJ

The settlement money has no impact on your taxes at all. I do not believe that it impacts your welfare benefits either. The money is intended to provide you the means for alternative transportation.

Sparker076

The settlement money has no impact on your taxes at all. I do not believe that it impacts your welfare benefits either. The money is intended to provide you the means for alternative transportation.

I hope it doesnt affect them, I dont want a handout or anything but there are some months I simply wouldnt make it without.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">