• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signed wrong name on title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wildbeehoney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

We purchased a broken down popup camper back in Feb. We fixed it up and this month went to register it. Seller put Thom instead of Thomas as first name on title. We have Email, callled, went to residence, and sent letter asking seller to simply fill out a form, have it certified by a notary and return it to us in a already stamped envelope. been 3 weeks. Called MVD and they advised us it will have to be inspected, and then a surety bond placed on the trailer before it can be registered. Can this person be taken to small claims to recoup these costs and being denied use of the trailer because of his mistake. BTW I questioned him on this signature when he signed and he assured me it was acceptable.

repairing a trailer can sometimes result in a need for the inspection ..

he can sign his name anyway he likes .. don't know what you are looking for here; it does not look like you went & applied to change the title.

justalayman

I don't even use my first name in my signature yet it is on every piece of "legal" documentation I have. As Jean-Luc has stated, he can sign his name anyway he chooses and if that choice is to sign as Thom instead of Thomas, then that is his signature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">