• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Agency Error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trish857

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The SSA "discovered" an error that they had been making in my benefits about 2 years ago. I was not aware of any error having been made and just accepted the monthly income they sent to me. At that time, they told me I had to pay back over $12,000 and from the time they say they made an error, my SS benefits were cut in half. I protested the repayment of the $12,000 and SSA made an exemption, so I didn't have to repay it. However, my benefits were cut in half from then on.

Subsequently, I lost my home to foreclosure and was forced to file bankruptcy. This caused much stress to me and now have to take antidepressants. I have had to move into a rental and I'm living very frugally.

This morning I checked my bank account and discovered that the SSA had deposited a little over $20,000 into my account. I immediately called the SSA to find out the reason for the large deposit. After much investigation, I was told that the prior "error" they made was not an error after all and the large deposit was to make up the backpay they owed me for about 18 months and that monthly, I will be getting the correct amount (the same as I got prior to their error)

Needless to say, the whole episode of their "error" has made a shambles of my finances and health, losing everything along with my good credit.

My question is: Can I sue the SSA for damages or are they exempt from lawsuits?

Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">