• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security number likely given out to others

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kashaugh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I won a contest (from a travel company) in 2015 which resulted in a trip. There were 3 winners in all. I have been waiting for my 1099-misc form to be e-mailed so I can file my income taxes. Today, their accounting division e-mailed me another persons 1099 form....with their name, address, and social security number displayed. I am assuming mine was sent to someone else as well. I feel as if my privacy has been breached, and am concerned about identity theft.

What can I do? And what should I do?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I won a contest (from a travel company) in 2015 which resulted in a trip. There were 3 winners in all. I have been waiting for my 1099-misc form to be e-mailed so I can file my income taxes. Today, their accounting division e-mailed me another persons 1099 form....with their name, address, and social security number displayed. I am assuming mine was sent to someone else as well. I feel as if my privacy has been breached, and am concerned about identity theft.

What can I do? And what should I do?
You can contact the accounting division to notify them of the error and they will correct it. You can hope that any person who received your 1099-misc in error will do the same. Identity theft is always a concern when your social security number has been disclosed to others but it is the rare person who will actually take advantage of an error in that way. Most people are honorable.

You can contact the credit reporting agencies and have a "possible fraud alert" posted to your record so that if anyone attempts to open credit in your name using your social security number, they will be unable to. You can do the same with your bank accounts. If any unusual activity is noted, you will be notified.

I do not see a legal action worth pursuing. Mistakes happen.

Dandy Don

It most likely was an innocent mistake.

Just for your own protection, and to make sure that you have not yet been a victim of identity theft, get a copy of your credit report to make sure no unauthorized charges have been going through it, or get a Lifelock account to have your credit activity monitored.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">