• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State constitution issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MDWINCORNY

Wisconsin state constitution article 1 section 26 reads: "The people have the right to fish, hunt, trap, and take game subject only to reasonable restrictions as prescribed by law. [2001 J.R. 16, 2003 J.R. 8, vote April 2003]" Many townships in the state have ordinances that restrict or outright prohibit hunting, fishing or trapping in areas where it would otherwise be allowed under state statute. When the amendment referenced above was passed, I recall that the "reasonable restrictions as prescribed by law" were defined as "existing state statutes regulating hunting fishing and trapping activities". Are the town ordinances unconstitutional?

MDWINCORNY

The town chairman was going to ask the towns legal counsel for an opinion. So, I don't know what the answer is yet.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Reasonable restrictions were obviously not defined in the section you quoted.

subject only to reasonable restrictions as prescribed by law

This doesn't say "state law". My bet is local statutes are valid.

However, your best bet is to wait for the legal opinion of the town counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">