• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations and claiming tax returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sieger007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NE ( where It happened. Currently in CO)

I filed by 2006 tax return initially in 2007 with the State of NE. I have certified mail receipt and the Zerox copy of the original return. Later on 2-3 times I called them to see if they got it and the answer was NO . So I volunteered to file it again and they said WAIT- DON'T FILE IT AGAIN BECAUSE if we get 2 returns it will complicate matters. After 2-3 follow ups with the State of NE Treasury (tax) , it JUST DROPPED OF My attention. I guess that is where you could say its my fault.
Fast forward 2015 - I filed the 2006 return and quite expectedly got the reply that my claim's denied as the statue has passed but it ALSO SAID,for any further appeals, file a case w /Lancaster County Courthouse.
SO I called up the courthouse & they told me that I can file a writ petition ...to appeal. But they CANNOT ADVISE ME THE FORMAT OF THE PETITION. WHAT FORMS I SHOULD BE FILING etc. and I should consult an attorney. I DON"T MIND CONSULTING YOU or any other attorney (if I can afford it ) ... in helping me fill out the forms & paper work, LONG AS I STAND some chance to get my money back. I KNOW it was so neglectful of me not to follow up for 3 years after 2007. I was going through a divorce.
But the Q is..IS THERE A CHANCE I CAN GET MY MONEY FROM NE STATE . THEY ARE HOLDING MY REFUND.IS IT WORTH ALL THE TROUBLE -- THEN I WILL DO WHAT IS REQD.
Can somone pl look up the provisions for the paper work and help me file

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
No one here is going to do homework for you. If it can be looked up then you can do it yourself.

As far as I'm concerned you are not explaining your situation clearly and you're difficult to comprehend. You need to consult a tax attorney in your state to find out what your chances are and to deal with the paperwork involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">