• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teen driving in Indiana for someone who lives in Michigan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Submariner.89

I live in Michigan and will be 16 in April. I want to visit my 2nd and 3rd cousins in Indiana in the summer. Since I plan on having my license then, I know there are restrictions on driving for teens here in Michigan, but what how is the law applied to me once I cross the state line into another state like Indiana? Please be specific and try to include links to reliable sources. Thanks

Proserpina

I live in Michigan and will be 16 in April. I want to visit my 2nd and 3rd cousins in Indiana in the summer. Since I plan on having my license then, I know there are restrictions on driving for teens here in Michigan, but what how is the law applied to me once I cross the state line into another state like Indiana? Please be specific and try to include links to reliable sources. Thanks

You are subject to the laws of whatever state you're in at any given moment.

You can google for links.

CourtClerk

Although you've already been given the answer to your question, along with a link by Quincy, I must say kudos to you for doing your research BEFORE hand, and for a very well stated question by a 15 year old.

You did better than some people 3 times your age!

Submariner.89

Re

Thanks CourtClerk!

What I mean is since it seems that the Indiana and Michigan laws conflict in some ways, for example, in Michigan you can get a license at 16 and in Indiana you have to be 16 and 6 months, I believe, how does that work? Am I part of Indiana's "probationary period" even though I don't normally live there? Will the length of my stay (hopefully 1 month) and the people I'm staying with affect any of this? Will I be able to drive them and their friends? In Michigan, the rule is one passenger out of your family, but in Indiana, it sounds like no passengers. I am a little confused because if I follow the Indiana rules, technically I shouldn't even have my 2nd level license...

justalayman

a license from another state is valid in Indiana.

when you get into probationary issues, actually Indiana's do not apply to you, at least in the same way they apply to an Indiana resident. Should you be charged with violating the law, it will not have the same affect on you as it would an Indiana resident.

You will be held to the limitations based on age which is most of the limitations a probationary license are based upon (restrictions are in place until 18 for the most part). I do not believe the limitation of being required to have your license at least 6 months to be able drive during certain hours (after 6 months the restriction is relaxed, a little bit) can be enforced since you are not licensed under Indiana's rules but I wouldn't push the issue. If I recall, there is a curfew law in Indiana which would likely be able to be invoked during the hours you would be restricted from driving anyway.

In Indiana, once you have had your license for 6 months, the passenger restriction is removed.

The rules applied to your license in Michigan are still applicable to you while driving in Indiana (but since it is quite possible the gendarmes of Indiana are not aware of the restrictions, it is unlikely you will be held to them, unless they do some investigation should you be stopped).

Will the length of my stay (hopefully 1 month) and the people I'm staying with affect any of this?
You need to be cautious with this. You staying in state for a month may trigger a change of residency which would require you to obtain an Indiana license. Why are you staying for a month?

to avoid as many problems as possible, I would suggest carrying proof you have had your license at least 6 months (if applicable). That period is the most restrictive. If you have had your license for at least 6 months, I suspect the cops would attempt to apply the rules that are applicable to an Indiana driver in the same position.

Submariner.89

Re

Thanks - that was VERY helpful! So I would or wouldn't be able to drive Indiana residents around while I'm there? My birthday's in April, so assuming I visit in June or July, I wouldn't have had a level 2 license for 6 months yet...

justalayman

how old will you be in April? 16?

The limitation in MI for a level 2 license are no more than 1 passenger under 21 unless they are immediate family members, driving to or from or in the course of your employment, while going to and from an authorized activity, or when accompanied by parent or legal guardian or a licensed driver over the age of 21 that has been designated by the parent or legal guardian.

here are the restrictions for INdiana:

Driving restrictions
You may not drive between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. for 180 days after getting your license.
After you have driven for 180 days, you may not drive during the following hours:
Saturday and Sunday, between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m.
Sunday through Thursday, after 11 p.m.
Monday through Friday, before 5 a.m.
You may drive at any time if you are traveling to or from work, school, or a religious event, or if you are accompanied by an individual with a valid Indiana driver’s license who is 25 years or older.
Driving with passengers
You may not drive with passengers for 180 days after getting your license, unless you are also accompanied by a licensed instructor, an individual with a valid Indiana driver’s license who is 25 years or older, or a parent, guardian, or step-parent who is 21 years or older. You may drive with your child, sibling, or spouse during the hours allowed by law.
Depending on the age of the relatives, it would appear you would likely not be able to drive them around in either state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">