• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there government assistance if burned out of home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I'm actually in WI but my brother (who this actually relates to) lives in Illinois. He lived in a low income subsidized apartment building. He didn't have renter's insurance, even though he was considering it within the last year and I strongly advised him to get it (don't get me started!).

A drunk driver crashed into the building early in the morning yesterday. A gas line was hit and then exploded and caused the fire displacing my brother and 30 other people. Here's the story: http://www.wsiltv.com/story/31533478/crews-battling-apartment-fire-in-mt-vernon

What I'd like to ask here is if there is any assistance programs offered by the Federal or IL state government that helps people in this situation. The government seems to have programs that give money to people who are low income all the time (Food stamps, welfare, etc.) so I imagine there must be something for people who suffer something like this, but I'm not finding anything specific in my searches. I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me about something.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I'm actually in WI but my brother (who this actually relates to) lives in Illinois. He lived in a low income subsidized apartment building. He didn't have renter's insurance, even though he was considering it within the last year and I strongly advised him to get it (don't get me started!).

A drunk driver crashed into the building early in the morning yesterday. A gas line was hit and then exploded and caused the fire displacing my brother and 30 other people. Here's the story: http://www.wsiltv.com/story/31533478/crews-battling-apartment-fire-in-mt-vernon

What I'd like to ask here is if there is any assistance programs offered by the Federal or IL state government that helps people in this situation. The government seems to have programs that give money to people who are low income all the time (Food stamps, welfare, etc.) so I imagine there must be something for people who suffer something like this, but I'm not finding anything specific in my searches. I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me about something.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I'm not sure what else to do.
Your brother should contact the Red Cross - they often help in situations like this and should be able to give referrals for any government programs that can provide assistance. www.redcross.org (to start)

ETA: Here are the local Red Cross chapters: http://www.redcross.org/local/il/centralsouthernil/local-chapters

Your brother should contact the Red Cross - they often help in situations like this and should be able to give referrals for any government programs that can provide assistance. www.redcross.org (to start)
He told me that they already helped him to get a motel room for a few nights. Hopefully, they also gave him guidance on what to do after that. I'll remind him to ask them again if he was in too much shock at the time to remember what they told him at the time.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Thank you both! I'm happy to help and hope your brother's fortunes greatly improve. :)
Yes, they're already improving from what he's been telling me. He's getting things replaced such as his social security card and birth certificate. He also has a new apartment lined up for Monday--just 2 days from now. Also, since his situation is part of a larger event that affected many people, the city had a lot of donations to help out everyone. Here's something from someone in that area that they posted on Facebook:

"At this time we appreciate the overwhelming response by all businesses, organizations, and general public. We encourage any monetary donations for the fire victims to be sent to People's National Bank in care of First Presbyterian Church Garden Glen Fire Victims.
All clothing donations can be sent to the Rescue Mission, Bargain Box, Angels on Assignment, Nice Twice and Mt Vernon Christian Outreach and they will be free of charge to the victims.
The victims can go to Helping Hands on Monday and Friday of next week to pick up groceries that were donated by Midwest Food Bank Fairfield.
Pastor Brinson of Antioch International Assembly at 500 Harrison will be taking over the donations that have currently been donated. We encourage all of the victims to come pick up their needs by Tuesday of next week.
ABC storage has donated a storage unit with a $20 deposit free until the end of April. The church will continue to provide for the needs of the fire victims until further notice. We ask that no other donations be brought in.
NOTE: Please check the Garden Glen Recovery group for any future need requests that are made by the fire victims and for additional fundraiser information to raise money for the Fire Victims trust fund."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">