• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Town government

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chris516

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I live with my elderly mother who owns a house in a Maryland town pop.555. The origination of the town dates back to 1871, and the charter of the town dates back to 1926.

In 2015, The town did its' first GPS land survey(all previous surveys were not done by GPS). A lot of those that live on the (gravel, no vehicles allowed)Circle at the center of town. Have been adversely affected by the survey. Myself included. Legal advice has been sought by many that live on the Circle. After the town's Planning Commission, via the GPS Land Survey. Told those town residents. That, Because of the GPS Land Survey. They needed to move or tear down, this or that, object on their property. Since the town seems hell bent on modifying the stairs to my mother's house. I am curious about one thing.

Since the backdoor of the house(the side not facing the circle) is the preferred access point to the house, and the town is claiming, a brick path to the back of house is town property. Shouldn't town maintenance be the ones' to clean(blow leaves, shovel snow) town property? In my situation, that would be the brick path to the back of the house. So, Legally, If I were to blow the leaves or shovel snow on the brick path. That I would be violating the responsibility of the town to maintain safe access on town property. Correct?

FlyingRon

You'll need to consult a local land use attorney. Just saying "Maryland" is not fine enough information to know what is going on here, and I doubt there are anybody here who understands what ordinances their trying to enforce on you. Usually, absent some overbearing safety reason, long term placement of things mistakeningly built over the property lines (if that's what we're talking about) has some sort of grandfathering relief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">