• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of Driving License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcnanjappa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I was at the Department of Transportation couple of days ago to transfer my driving license from another state. The officer reviewed my immigration documents and told me they could not grant me a transfer. I had a I-797 which was valid until Oct. 31, 2014, less than the 30 days validity required by IDOT for issue of a license. However, I had the new I-797 valid from Nov. 1st, 2014 to Oct. 31st, 2015. The officer said this I-797 could not be considered since the period has not started. I was asked to come back in November. My legal status has not changed since my entry and is active/valid in the US until Oct. 31st, 2015. Is the denial of my license transfer valid? What can I do to transfer my license sooner, so that I can purchase a car and get it registered? (This is a process issue which could have impacted other legal resident aliens also.)

Prior to relocating to Iowa, I had my drivers license transferred in another state using the same immigration documents listed above. They verified my legal status online with only the visa details, and no supporting documentation.

Thanks!

Last edited:

justalayman

States don't transfer licenses. Each state issues a license based upon the laws of their state. If you are a resident of iowa now you simply apply for a license. If they waive any tests due to having a license in your previous state of residence then that is what they do. If not you would simply apply for a licnse and take the required tests.

What appears to be the issue is you cannot prove residency in the state. That is a totally different situation b

bcnanjappa

States don't transfer licenses. Each state issues a license based upon the laws of their state. If you are a resident of iowa now you simply apply for a license. If they waive any tests due to having a license in your previous state of residence then that is what they do. If not you would simply apply for a licnse and take the required tests.

What appears to be the issue is you cannot prove residency in the state. That is a totally different situation b
Residency has been proven with bank statements. This is a problem of immigration documents not being considered.

bcnanjappa

Wait the 20 days...
The only problem is that it delays my purchasing a car to simplify my daily commute. As far as a license, I can wait if there are no options since I was issued one for the complete duration of status in my previous state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The only problem is that it delays my purchasing a car to simplify my daily commute. As far as a license, I can wait if there are no options since I was issued one for the complete duration of status in my previous state.
Why do you think you can't purchase a vehicle with an out of state driver's license?

Oh, and I was wrong - it's more like 23/24 days you'll need to wait since there's 31 days this month and the 1st falls on a Saturday.

justalayman

Residency has been proven with bank statements. This is a problem of immigration documents not being considered.
it appears that to obtain an Iowa license you must fulfill the requirements of the Real-ID act. I suspect the is something more that either you are not disclosing or they are not disclosing to you. I would suggest speaking to a supervisor at that facility and if no success there, contacting the state office of the DMV.

the requirements under the Real-ID act:

(2) SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS-
(A) IN GENERAL- To meet the requirements of this section, a
State shall comply with the minimum standards of this
paragraph.
(B) EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL STATUS- A State shall require, before
issuing a driver's license or identification card to a person, valid
documentary evidence that the person--
(i) is a citizen or national of the United States;
(ii) is an alien lawfully admitted for permanent or
temporary residence in the United States;
(iii) has conditional permanent resident status in the
United States;
(iv) has an approved application for asylum in the United
States or has entered into the United States in refugee
status;
(v) has a valid, unexpired nonimmigrant visa or
nonimmigrant visa status for entry into the United States;
(vi) has a pending application for asylum in the United
States;
(vii) has a pending or approved application for temporary
protected status in the United States;
(viii) has approved deferred action status; or
(ix) has a pending application for adjustment of status to
that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence
in the United States or conditional permanent resident
status in the United States.
(3) VERIFICATION OF DOCUMENTS- To meet the requirements of this
section, a State shall implement the following procedures:
(A) Before issuing a driver's license or identification card to a
person, the State shall verify, with the issuing agency, the
issuance, validity, and completeness of each document required
to be presented by the person under paragraph (1) or (2).
(B) The State shall not accept any foreign document, other than
an official passport, to satisfy a requirement of paragraph (1) or
(2).
(C) Not later than September 11, 2005, the State shall enter
into a memorandum of understanding with the Secretary of
Homeland Security to routinely utilize the automated system
known as Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements, as
provided for by section 404 of the Illegal Immigration Reform
and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (110 Stat. 3009-664),
to verify the legal presence status of a person, other than a
United States citizen, applying for a driver's license or
identification card.
I see nothing preventing them from issuing a license to you based on your statements.

bcnanjappa

it appears that to obtain an Iowa license you must fulfill the requirements of the Real-ID act. I suspect the is something more that either you are not disclosing or they are not disclosing to you. I would suggest speaking to a supervisor at that facility and if no success there, contacting the state office of the DMV.

the requirements under the Real-ID act:

I see nothing preventing them from issuing a license to you based on your statements.
Nothing to hide. I have had licenses from different states in the past and am aware of these requirements. I have contacted the state office regarding my experience and will see how things work out.

bcnanjappa

Why do you think you can't purchase a vehicle with an out of state driver's license?

Oh, and I was wrong - it's more like 23/24 days you'll need to wait since there's 31 days this month and the 1st falls on a Saturday.
In my past experience, the dealer wanted a licence of that state to sell the car... probably so that they could take care of the "permanent" registration formalities.

justalayman

In my past experience, the dealer wanted a licence of that state to sell the car... probably so that they could take care of the "permanent" registration formalities.

so what happens if I, a resident of a state other than Iowa, buy a car in Iowa?

and what happens if Joe Walsh, even if he was a resident of Iowa wanted to buy a car in Iowa, at least if his song is to be believed?

bcnanjappa

so what happens if I, a resident of a state other than Iowa, buy a car in Iowa?

and what happens if Joe Walsh, even if he was a resident of Iowa wanted to buy a car in Iowa, at least if his song is to be believed?
My guess is that they would be only issued temporary tags, and need to get the vehicle registered in their state of residence (matching the license). Someone who have experience such a transaction would need to confirm that.

My experience was while purchasing a car in MD few years ago.

justalayman

My guess is that they would be only issued temporary tags, and need to get the vehicle registered in their state of residence (matching the license). Someone who have experience such a transaction would need to confirm that.
and maybe not even that as not all states issue temp tags for private sales (haven't checked Iowa as it doesn't really matter). The point is; you still bought a car and so could I. If Iowa will not accept you as a resident, then you may be required to register the vehicle in your previous state (a problem in itself) but the fact remains, you can still purchase a car.

bcnanjappa

and maybe not even that as not all states issue temp tags for private sales (haven't checked Iowa as it doesn't really matter). The point is; you still bought a car and so could I. If Iowa will not accept you as a resident, then you may be required to register the vehicle in your previous state (a problem in itself) but the fact remains, you can still purchase a car.
Previous residence is 1000+ miles away.
But yes, point noted. I could purchase the car from private party with (or without depending on the case) temp tags and then get all my DOT paperwork done simultaneously in November.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">