• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"for u.s. forces in the mid-east not for resale"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robbdogg

Hi people!! We purchased some cooking oil for shipment to Asia from a major multinational corporation and their local distributor. after much back and forth they delivered the product with an expiration date that had passed and with a label on the the shrinkwrap of the the pallet stating "for u.s. forces in the mid-east not for resale". we have emails where they state the expiration date is 12/2013 and there is no mention of this being for u.s forces. i was unable to see the actual delivery to our shipper in California but i relied on their statements about the expiration date being 12/2013 and they certainly never said anything about the product being for u.s. forces and not for resale. Now my buyer in Asia has flatly rejected the shipment i guess my question is mainly about the statement "for u.s. forces in the mid-east not for resale". is it legal for them to sell this? does that mean this was previously sold to us military but now they are trying to pass it on to us? any input would be appreciated. thanks

justalayman

"for u.s. forces in the mid-east not for resale". is it legal for them to sell this?
maybe

the military does often sell off outdated, unneeded, or useless assets which can then be disposed of however the buyer chooses, as long as there is not a contractual obligation to the contrary. To legitimize this sale, you would have to have evidence the entity you purchased the product from did legitimately come by the product and was authorized to resell it to you. Unless you do that, your buyer would be acting prudently by refusing the delivery as if the product has come about by improper means, he could be subject to penalties, if nothing else, forfeiture of the product and having to chase you for a refund. He is making the smart move here.

the fact the expiration date has passed suggests this may in fact have been legitimately purchased and sold to you but without proof, it is only speculation.

robbdogg

maybe

he could be subject to penalties, if nothing else, forfeiture of the product and having to chase you for a refund.
Thanks for your helpful response. What federal agency do you think we should contact to get some more answers? defense dept? commerce? ftc? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

justalayman

Honestly I don't really have a clue. Our government is such a convoluted conglomeration of redundant agencies and agencies that do not do what one would logically conclude would be the proper venue that most likely, any guess I make, would be just plain wrong.

In the most generic stab in the dark, since this involves military issues, I would suggest the DOD, at least some office within, would be the proper avenue but as to who or where, not a clue.

milmom

Thanks for your helpful response. What federal agency do you think we should contact to get some more answers? defense dept? commerce? ftc? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil

There is a customer service link on the left as well as a link for sale to the public. This may be a place to start.

justalayman

http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil

There is a customer service link on the left as well as a link for sale to the public. This may be a place to start.
Wow, I just bough an extra M1 tank for $39.95 (plus shipping but they said that shouldn't be much although it is in Iraq and I'm in the US).

great link milmom

TigerD

Never know when a tank will come in handy. ... especially with our current government.

DC

justalayman

Never know when a tank will come in handy. ... especially with our current government.

DC
I'm not worried about the government. I got it because of the daily traffic jams.

as Doc Brown on Back to the Future said:

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

of course, it helps with the little obstructions like other cars as well.

justalayman

I'm not too worried either. But if we keep invading countries, SECDEF is going to have to hold a bake sale and borrow private assets by the time we invade Canada.

DC
Oh, please don't even go there. I don't know what is happening anymore. It seems each president feels he must make his mark as the world's savior but it also appears that a good share of them pick the wrong place, time, or side when figuring out who to save.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">