• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Extension and year end date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jasondc1974

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I recently found out that even though I have unemployment extensions which would have lasted until august 2009, I had to file a new claim because of my year end date was last week. Because I worked for temp jobs for 3 months total last year I qualify for a new claim and no longer can take my original extension. Now my weekly benefit is 125 dollars less a week that what I was receiving before. I was told if I did not work last year then I could have continued my emergency extension which was enough for me to get by. Now, I will not have enough to pay rent and bills. I am basically being penalized for working. Is it me or is the system really messed up? I understand that's the way its ran but one would think I could continue my emergency benefits because it was much more that what I will be getting now. What do they expect? Since I could not work enough last year because of the economy how do they expect me to survive on this much lower amount. The amount I was getting before was based on the year 2007 which I worked most of that year. A lot of people lost their jobs last year and took temp jobs so they would not have to collect unemployment. I thought I was doing the right thing. Now I am being punished for that. It's so unfair. I have been in tears all day just trying to figure out what to do. No one is hiring and I have no idea...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

commentator

give me the bigger claim?

After 30+ years of working in the unemployment system, I can see your confusion and understand your frustration, but can also tell you that unemployment is not welfare, and the system is not set up to give you the most financially helpful situation, only to administer the law exactly as it is set up.

In every state, there are certain basics of unemployment law set up by the federal government. One is the quarter system, and one is the Benefit Year system. In other words, your previous work history has nothing to do with unemployment, whether you have ever drawn before has nothing to do with it, how much you need or do not need it has no bearing. Unemployment claims are based on roughly the last 18 months, when you have worked for "covered employer(s)" They are the ones who pay the taxes to support unemployment. You are eligible only if your job ends through no fault of your own. When you were laid off from your better paying job a year ago, a claim was set up based on your earning in the prior 18 months, which of the last five quarters your particular state bases its claims on. This sets you up for a certain amount, but this amount has a maximum cap on it. In other words, even if you made $600,000, you could not make more per week than your state's maximum weekly benefit. The average for all the states is a maximum of about $300 a week. The stimulus adds $25 per week to all weekly benefit amounts.

But even your weekly benefit amount last year was probably less than you could make a week working at temporary jobs. And any week you worked was a week you brought in more than you could draw. So you did the right thing by working. By federal law, at the end of one year the unemployment benefit claim expires. So you must refile and see if you qualify for a new claim. If so, you MUST take the new claim. This is not an optional situation. This is not based on how much more money would help you. This is just the way the law is set up. If you do not have a new claim, you are able to continue to receive the extension until you have used up all the extension weeks available to you. It sounds as though you have about 16 more weeks available to you. (till August). Figure how much this would be in terms of (amount you were getting) x 16. Then, unemployment would end. Stop. Kapowie. Nothing else.
And since you have no more wages in the base period, since you had not worked since last year, there would be no more unemployment for many more months. Like until you had worked again for about two years.

In this case, you have less money coming in per week. This is the time you should be trying to get that temporary and part time and any old job. You can use unemployment to suppliment it if the job actually pays less than you would draw for that week. On the new claim, you have 26 weeks of regular benefits, and then another six months until your claim expires where you can draw your extensions if you need it. So even though you have $125 less a week coming in right now, you have many weeks of benefits you can draw far beyond August of this year. And you can pick up a part time job while you are drawing, or temporary work for a few weeks at a time and still draw all this next year if you can't find a job that pays more than you can draw.

Unemployment is not meant to be a good living or even a living wage. It is not even meant to be as good as working at a low paying job. It is just meant to be something to help you until you can find other employment of some kind. It would do no good to hire an attorney, because they cannot change the unemployment laws. You cannot appeal something that is set in concrete this way. But consider how much money total you will receive on this new claim, versus how much you might have gotten on an extension before August of this year, and you will see that it really was a good thing to take other work if you could get it.

alicat82

confused

I am really confused on everything. I got a check last week and it said that my balance was $838. Then I got my check this past Friday and it just said "Benefit year ended" and gave me a number to call. Of course, you can't get through to anyone. I read in the post before mine and it said to call and see if you qualify to open a new claim. What would make you eligible for a new claim? Please help.

commentator

commentator

Hi alicat,

No matter what state you are in, they have a benefit year. This means that any claim is good for one year from the date it was filed. This is like the expiration date, and even though you may have money you did not draw out in the claim, you don't get that money if you don't get it within that benefit year. What you will have to do this week is keep trying until you reach someone on your state's call-in system. Try early in the morning, between seven and eight a.m. and later in the week. But you must manage to get through to someone, and let them take a new claim on you before you can get any more benefits. If you have enough wages for a new claim, you must take the new claim even if it is less than the weekly amount you were receiving on your old claim.

If you do not have enough wages in the past quarters that your state uses to set up a new claim, you can continue to draw the same weekly amount on an extension provided you have not used up all the extensions available for you. But regardless, you must call in this week and file a new claim because your benefit year has ended. If you aren't able to get through all this week, and you have been trying diligently, keep trying next week and when you do talk to someone, tell them you have been trying all the previous week and request that they backdate your new claim. Good luck. The extensions are a wonderful thing, we sure did need them, and I hope this works out for you for the best.

Last edited:

wholesalecd

New Original Claim

I just got in the mail a grant for a new original claim. The new one is a little less but I guess my year is up on the first one. I am in the middle of my second extension. From reading your posts I understand the payment from the extension will stop now and the new original claim will begin. The dates on my new one are June 09 through June 2010.

My question is:

Will I be able to get new extensions on the new original claim after it's exhausted? If I understand correctly I will get payments to the expiration of my new original claim.

Am I correct on that?

Thanks,

Sam

Last edited:

wholesalecd

Award letter

I received an award letter for a new original claim. Do I have to call EDD or do anything else or will the checks start coming in automatically?

Sam

JennaBejar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

Hello,

I have a concern and I have not been able to get through to speak to anyone from the unemployment offices. Any help anyone can provide me with will be appreciated. I first made a claim at end of April 08, which was not accepted because I was under doctors care for an injury. When I was cleared by my doctor in December of 08, I re-opened my claim and started receiving benefits, with a year end date of April 09. At which time I filed for an emergency extension which I was told was approved for 20 weeks, but on my benefits check the stated year end date is 6/30/09.

My question is, where could have they possibly determined this new year end date since I've only received 8 weeks worth of my emergency extension and I have not made any claims in June 08?

:confused:

Last edited:

hobblizzy

New York

Hey Commentator, since you seem to be knowledgeable in this field I had a simple question. From what I gathered in this thread, my unemployment BYE is at the end of this month and it seems that I need to refile a new claim since it will be over. Can I file for a new claim using the online system or do I need to call in? Thank you for your help in advance. :)

Last edited:

curlyshu

Unemployment in New Jersey

As hobblizzy said:
New York

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Commentator,
Since you seem to be knowledgeable in this field I had a simple question. From what I gathered in this thread, my unemployment BYE is at the end of this month and it seems that I need to refile a new claim since it will be over. Can I file for a new claim using the online system or do I need to call in? Thank you for your help in advance. "

Hello Commentator,

I also have this same question (online system or call in to have someone do it for you), because I did get threw and I called and was told to do a new claim, but a second person told me that there were agents that would do this for me. I went ahead and I did this online through the same web page that I would normally go in every two weeks for my continued benefits, I just hope that I did it through the correct webpage, it was the long application like when I first did my first claim a year ago. I did notice that when I went into the applcation, it did have most of my information saved, so it was like a continual application, yet I was a bit confused because some questions referred to if I worked prior 18 months, that would be a yes, because technically I did work before the year that had just passed. Then, there was another question that asked if I worked the last 12 months, and of course I said no to that one. My other question is that once I submit my NEW claim, how long does it take to see the next check? I am also afraid that I will not be approved, because I also read in other blogs that some people were not approved and had to appeal. I was already collecting from Tier II and now my year date came up and I had to resubmit the new claim. Another question, if I qualify for EU, how long is that for ?

commentator

This should've been a new post, but I'll go on and do it from here. Actually, what you need to do at this point is start calling and calling and calling...usually it works better to begin trying early, like at 7:00am this coming Monday morning. You are going to need to speak to a real person, and have them check to see if your new claim that you filed on line "took." Because that wouldn't have worked for you in my state and the states I am familiar with, but maybe some online systems are better.

When your benefit year ends, you can no longer do the weekly certification for any more weeks past that BYE date. (Should be a Saturday or Sunday date) The first week you can file the new claim is the following week. When you call in and have someone file it (or if it worked on the internet, which as I said, I'm not at all sure of) they will determine if you have enough wages in the new base period, which is either the first four of the last five quarters or the last four quarters...to set up a new claim.

If not, you will be set up as "monetarily ineligible" and put back on your old extension if you have any left to draw. Even if you had not hit your extensions yet, you will have to start an extension, which should be the same amount weekly as the old claim, for about a total of 20 something weeks, at this point with all the extensions they've got in place now.

If you do have enough wages for a new claim, they will then check for what is called re-earnings. This means do you have ANY covered wages from any employer since the first time you were laid off this last benefit year? If yes, and you have enough reearnings, you will be started on your new claim at whatever amount it sets up for.

If not, you will be started back on an extension, no new claim, until you run out of them, or make some wages. For example, once that new claim is in place, even without reearnings to put it in effect, if you were to go to work and then get laid off again, from a temporary job, for example, you would be put on that new claim once you did have the reearnings. No way to elect to go back to the old claim you drew this last year.

If you have a new claim with reearnings, New Jersey not having a waiting week, maybe a week and a half to two weeks before receiving a first check on the new claim. Depending on when you get hold of someone and make sure you're duly filed.

If you don't have reearnings or money in quarters to be eligible for a new claim, you're still looking for about two to three weeks until they can get all this ironed out and get you back on an extension, unless New Jersey is a lot less busy and more efficient than most places. Eventually you should get paid for all the weeks, though. They just have a lot to process.

Be sure of this, look at your calendar. Even if you did not get your new claim filed that first week after your benefit year ended, when you talk to someone in claims, ask that your claim be backdated to this week, since you have been making a good faith effort to get this filed, even if doing it on the internet did not work.

Last edited:

Pennywise513

Worried...

Well, now I'm kind of worried, because my benefit year end date is Nov. 21st. My only question is: If I have already been approved for the 13 week Tier 2 extension (and received a couple weeks of it) , why am I having to re-apply? And would I have to wait the additional 4-6 weeks it has taken in the past to receive any benefits? I'm a little confused as well because on the unemployment website, it says my next filing date is 11/29/2009. How can that be if my year ends on the 21st? :confused: Also, under my claim summery it says I have "X" amount of benefits payable but $0 under remaining balance. And there is no Notices in my box about reapplying?

BeccaP

Confused about extensions...

I realize this thread is old and all, but I gladly risk getting sniped at for some valid advice...:)

I reside in MD and have been receiving unemployment benefits starting in May 2008. I believe I received an extension after my 26 weeks was up. I received benefits from May 2008 to Jan 2009, when I went back to school for training. I started receiving benefits again from April 2009 to Nov 2009.

My benefit year was up in May 2009, but I still was able to receive benefits because I had not yet exhausted the benefit year amount. Now, I have $0 left in my UI account and have exhausted it.

My question is this: is there any way to receive extension/benefits after my benefit year is exhausted, if I have not worked in a year and a half?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">