• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The seeker

(New York) I was terminated without reason from my previous job, filed for unemployment had it contested and just won this process took over a month and I was forced to take another low pay job in the meantime to pay rent if I leave this job to go back on unemployment and go to school to finish my degree will I be denied benefits?

commentator

Once you have accepted a new job, you have accepted it and it becomes your last employer, regardless of whether or not it is as well paid as your old job or whether you got approved for benefits after being fired from the old job. If you quit this job, regardless of reason, and file for unemployment benefits again, (which is called "re-opening" your claim)you'll have to use this job as your last employer. And when you voluntarily quit a job, except in the rare case of having a very excellent job related (not personal) reason to quit the job, you will not likely be approved for unemployment benefits again.

And if you quit the job and try to just re-start your unemployment without telling them about this new job, you're going to be committing fraud, the system will catch you, and you'll be asked to pay back the money you may have received with penalties. So that's not an option either.

In most circumstances, unless you are in a particular type of system sponsored educational program, you are not allowed to attend school full time and draw unemployment benefits, which you draw because you are out of work for a reason not your fault, and are able, available and actively seeking a full time job. Keep the job you have now, try to flex your school schedule around it, or find a job that you can do and go to school. But getting back on unemployment insurance is probably not going to work out for you.

Proseguru

In some cases, UI will allow you to go to school and collect UI; but you'll have to get this cleared by UI.

If you just go to school w/o talking with UI, 100% of time UI beni's are gone.

sandyclaus

(New York) I was terminated without reason from my previous job, filed for unemployment had it contested and just won this process took over a month and I was forced to take another low pay job in the meantime to pay rent if I leave this job to go back on unemployment and go to school to finish my degree will I be denied benefits?
As Commentator says, the current job you have should show as your current employment for UI purposes. If you VOLUNTARILY quit your job in order to attend school, then YES - you can and SHOULD be denied benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">