• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of outside of mail box

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluetahoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I belong to an HOA and the board is thinking about placing HOA announcements on the outside of mailboxes. Is there a law or Post Office regulation against that?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

No. I don't see an issue with the practice, its quite normal.
And quite illegal. Postal regulations bar you from placing non-mailed items within the mailbox and bars you from hanging or attaching things to mailboxes. Sorry.

You can drop it on their front stoop, or dangle it from their door knob, or email it, or actually put a stamp on it and mail it.

You need to check your bylaws, certain items are required to be mailed first class.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I belong to an HOA and the board is thinking about placing HOA announcements on the outside of mailboxes. Is there a law or Post Office regulation against that?
**A: who owns the mailboxes? If the HOA owns the mailboxes then the USPS law may not apply.

FlyingRon

**A: who owns the mailboxes? If the HOA owns the mailboxes then the USPS law may not apply.
It mattes NOT who owns them. If they are being used for the deposit of mail (by the postal service) one can NOT place non-mailed items in them nor attach things to them.

If these were some internal mailboxes that the HOA stuffed incoming mail in themselves (highly unlikely) then they could do what they want.

CdwJava

From a practical standpoint, the feds are not going to pursue anyone for putting HOA announcements on the outside of the boxes. The USPS police rarely respond to far more serious allegations, so they certainly are not going to deal with messages taped to or deposited into mailboxes.

So, yes, it may very well be technically unlawful. But, the odds of any investigation - much less, a prosecution - occurring as a result are about nil.

From a practical standpoint, the feds are not going to pursue anyone for putting HOA announcements on the outside of the boxes. The USPS police rarely respond to far more serious allegations, so they certainly are not going to deal with messages taped to or deposited into mailboxes.

So, yes, it may very well be technically unlawful. But, the odds of any investigation - much less, a prosecution - occurring as a result are about nil.
Exactly ... its normal for folks to do this. They save a stamp. And it saves the OP $$..its his HOA !

I'm sure we all break laws every day .. meaningless laws passed by legislatures that have nothing better to do with their time

TinkerBelleLuvr

I don't have it handy, but the post master actually printed the regulation showing it was illegal to do so. I suggest asking them for the regulation and presenting it to the HOA Board.

Banned_Princess

and at this point in time the USPS NEEDS these notices sent through the mail with an old fashion address and stamp.

Save the Post office!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">