• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

USPS theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frijolesfree13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I received a package on 9-18-08 that was empty, with the entire top of the box cut off. There was a note on it saying "package received empty" stamped by my post office. Somewhere between MI and FL, someone had blatantly stolen the contents. When I called the USPS, they said because no insurance was purchased, I was out of luck. Now, I understand accidental damage, but aren't we supposed to trust a government agency to not STEAL our property? Now we have to PAY extra for them not to steal our packages?? What legal recourse do I have for theft? I still have the original package with the note on it.

P.S. The package was a surprise, and I learned that photos and another invaluable gift were included, which can't be replaced.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

Vent your anger on the person who sent you such valuable items without insuring them. The USPS puts out tons of information on how to send fragile or valuable items, then some penny pinching moron thinks they're going to save some money and sends a package out without insurance.

By the way, the doofus who sent you the package would be the party to sue the USPS, not you. He or she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Now, I understand accidental damage, but aren't we supposed to trust a government agency to not STEAL our property?

**A: what? The government has been stealing from us for years man. And now they want to use about a trillion dollars to bail out the bad mortgage loans. Now that's what i call stealing public monies.

Frijolesfree13

"The USPS puts out tons of information on how to send fragile or valuable items, then some penny pinching moron thinks they're going to save some money and sends a package out without insurance."

As I said in my thread, the package didn't contain fragile items, and additional fees should not be required to ensure the USPS doesn't STEAL your belongings. Stealing and accidental damage are two entirely different things, and if making a joke of it or chastising someone who may not be able to afford additional coverage is what you're into, maybe this site isn't the best place for you. People obviously need advice, and answers with name calling and criticisms don't help.

HomeGuru

"The USPS puts out tons of information on how to send fragile or valuable items, then some penny pinching moron thinks they're going to save some money and sends a package out without insurance."

As I said in my thread, the package didn't contain fragile items, and additional fees should not be required to ensure the USPS doesn't STEAL your belongings. Stealing and accidental damage are two entirely different things, and if making a joke of it or chastising someone who may not be able to afford additional coverage is what you're into, maybe this site isn't the best place for you. People obviously need advice, and answers with name calling and criticisms don't help.
**A: bottomline, if the photos and gift and stuff was so valuable, it should have been insured. That's it. And boy was it some surprise.

Hot Topic

According to the OP, the senders may not have had the money to insure the package. If that's the case, it's unlikely they'll have the money to sue the USPS for the alleged theft of the contents should they be of the same mind as the OP.

For what it's worth, there's no mention in the thread of the package not containing fragile items other than the OP's claim that he/she made the statement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">