• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility rate increase 400% !!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaelAngelo

What is the name of your state? Maryland

It was a shock when the Pepco (electric) rates doubled just a few months ago.

Today I got the news that the city of Rockville QUADRUPLED their utility fees for water, sewage, refuse. I checked with my neighbors to make sure it as not a mistake and they showed the same increase. The utility comany included a new rate schedule with the bill.

So basically my quarterly utility bill went from $200.00 per to $800 per quarter for a single family home.

Is there any way to fight this abuse?

Mike

lealea1005

We're not Pepco in our part of Maryland but ours went up 40% for our house and about 50% for the business. They had the cap on for about five years and couldn't increase the rates. It was all over the news for months. We were supposed to be able to pick another utility from a list sent to us, but most of them were out of state and just as expensive (or more so). Don't think there's anything we can do. The deal was made years ago.

Guess we'll get a lot of use out of the firplace this winter! Good Luck to you in Rockville!

MichaelAngelo

The electric did double, but that's not nearly as bad as the water/sewage bill which quadrupled. Is there an alternative source for water and sewage?

Mike

CraigFL

Some communities/cities/states have "citizen watch groups" that keep an eye on things like this --- Florida does. There always seems to be a way around this with things like surcharges. Energy costs have risen so much that they are affecting everything now.

Along with the solar power link you can consider things like heat pumps to lower heating costs too...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">