• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Department blackmailing us to accelerate past due water payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dynamo2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

A few years back unfortunately we neglected to pay our water bills and they began to accumulate .

Eventually this led to a meeting between myself and the head of the water department in our municipality

– a suburb of Boston. We worked out a repayment plan in May of 2013 which was put into writing and

signed by the department head and of which I have an original copy. The plan included a $6000 deposit

plus semiannual payments thereafter until the past due balance was paid off. Because we worked out the

payment plan on the spot we unfortunately both made a mistake. Part of the plan was to charge us 14%

annual interest on the outstanding balance. Well, as it turns out the $6000 deposit we made was almost

but not quite enough. The 14% interest was a little more than the semiannual payments we were making,

so the balance actually got a little bigger instead of smaller. Nobody noticed or at least did not say

anything about this until about June of this year.

The head of the water department retired and a new department head was appointed earlier this

year. He looked over the contract and said it is nonbinding for two reasons. Firstly he said that the

“convention” in this municipality is that the head of the water department does not have authority to make

payment plans with individual home owners and that this is something normally handled by the Water

Board. Secondly he said because the agreement was flawed in that based on its terms the bill would never

get paid off it is invalid. He then by way of certified letter demanded that we pay off the balance in full

forthwith or they were going to shut off our water in the near future.

We responded by saying that had we made a larger down payment that the interest on the balance

due would have been less than the semiannual payments and that the past due amount would then get paid

off. We then said we were ready to make such an additional payment (for close to 2/3 of the balance due)

forthwith provided he would still honor the contract. (We do not have and cannot get enough money to

pay off the past due balance in full.) He declined our offer and instead said that he was not going to

handle the matter but instead put it on the agenda to be decided by the Water Board whose meeting is

coming up shortly.

Apparently something insidious has been going on “behind the scenes”. We talked to several

other individuals in the water department in trying to work out some kind of a compromise and who are

also very familiar with the members of the Water Board. “Off the record” we were told that unless we

paid the past due balance in full that the Board was going to try to make our lives miserable. We were

told that besides possibly shutting off our water the Board was going to make us spend thousands of

dollars on changes to our plumbing. We live in a single family house but that also has an “in-law” unit

that was added legally before we moved in some 8 years ago. When the “in-law” unit was added they

also added a second water meter. Houses that use the city sewer system often have two water meters, one

for domestic water use and a second one solely for irrigation that is charged at a lower rate since that

water does not use the sewer system. Our house has a septic system and so there is no benefit (or

detriment) to us by having a second water meter. Well, much to our shock and surprise during our

negotiations we were told that unless we paid the past due in full that the Board in addition to possibly

shutting off our water was going to demand that we take out one of the two meters and we would have to

pay in addition all the costs associated with rerouting the water pipes to go through just one meter – a job

that could easily cost thousands of dollars.

When we pointed out that from both the city’s point of view and our point of view there is no

difference in income we were told they don’t care – since there is no justification for having a second

meter they are going to demand at their next meeting that we have it taken out.

Well, I obviously have a few questions. The first is the legal standing of our original payment

plan? Is it an enforceable contract possibly with an additional payment so that it will end in a timely

manner? Secondly, does the Water Board have the legal right to force us to spend thousands of dollars on

rerouting our plumbing simply because we have no justification for a second water meter although the

income is identical whether there is one or two meters? Lastly, I know legal issues can have very large

“grey areas”. How strong or weak are the two parts of my case: the agreement and the water meter?

Dynamo2000

Zigner:
I am well aware that the least costly solution is to just pay it off.
Unfortunately our credit is at its limit. I am afraid I will have to deal with
this within the legal system which is the basis for my submission to this forum.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zigner:
I am well aware that the least costly solution is to just pay it off.
Unfortunately our credit is at its limit. I am afraid I will have to deal with
this within the legal system which is the basis for my submission to this forum.
What makes you think you can afford to fight this in the legal system?

Dynamo2000

Zigner: You are right in that I cannot afford the classical legal battle.
I don't have a lot of choices and I may have to plead my own case.
It would help me greatly if I had some frame of reference with regard to
how strong or weak my "case is" on the two issues of the agreement and the
authority of the Water Dept. to force me to change the meters. Would you know
if there is any case law on the meter issue and if so where I could find it?

TigerD

1. Your case is weak.
2. You really don't know what you are doing and you are responding emotionally.
3. You need an attorney. This sounds like it is going to get ugly and expensive.

Good luck.

DC

Just Blue

Zigner: You are right in that I cannot afford the classical legal battle.
I don't have a lot of choices and I may have to plead my own case.
It would help me greatly if I had some frame of reference with regard to
how strong or weak my "case is" on the two issues of the agreement and the
authority of the Water Dept. to force me to change the meters. Would you know
if there is any case law on the meter issue and if so where I could find it?
There is, I'm sure, case law.

www.google.com

is where you may find it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">