• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens after county declares "state of emergency" in WA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

susansusan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

A county in Washington recently declared a state of emergency for something I had never heard of (not a fire, flood, etc). What happens next? Must the governor declare it also, for the state of emergency to "take effect"? Is it possible it can get denied?

Is there a place to see what previous county declarations were "approved" vs. "denied"?

Thank you!

Last edited:

CdwJava

That depends ... what is the declaration for? A health issue? Civil unrest? Natural disaster? Water shortage?

Such a declaration even if approved by the state doesn't mean that they get to toss the Constitution out, it just means that there are certain actions that can be taken including accessing state or federal funds to assist, activate mutual aid agreements or access state or other resources to aid in the emergency, etc.

There is probably a WA state statute that explains the limitations and powers that are involved in such declarations.

Proserpina

Thankfully the State cares not one bit about the OP's feelings on the subject.

For everyone else with a lick of common sense, the reason is wildfires.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

A nearby county recently declared a state of emergency for something not very emergent, in my opinion. What happens next? Must the governor declare it also, for the state of emergency to "take effect"? Is it possible it can get denied?

Is there a place to see what previous county declarations were "approved" vs. "denied"?

Thank you!
The Governor (or Lt. Governor acting for the Governor) is the one who signs the declaration of emergency. This state of emergency declaration directs all state agencies (if called upon) to assist where needed (e.g., the National Guard for civil unrest). It also frees up government money to aid those who need it. Low-cost government loans can be made available.

If, generally after touring a site, the Governor does not see that state emergency aid is necessary, the declaration will not be signed so, yes, government assistance can be "denied."

Washington has had several state of emergencies declared this summer, hasn't it, due to the wild fires? If a house was destroyed during a fire, under a state of emergency declaration, the homeowner could receive government assistance (perhaps through a low-cost loan), to help with the clean up or rebuilding.

Here are two links with emergency information and the types of resources available, and there is a link to a 2013 analysis, available for downloading:

Access Washington - Emergency Information:
http://access.wa.gov/topics/emergency

Washington Military Department Emergency Management Division:
http://www.emd.wa.gov/

Is there a particular concern of yours?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why can't a county declare a county-wide state of emergency? It seems to me that each level of government can declare a state of emergency to free up resources within that particular level of government, as well as requesting further assistance from higher levels of government. As the declaration is expanded (state, federal), then more resources would be made available at those levels.

quincy

Why can't a county declare a county-wide state of emergency? It seems to me that each level of government can declare a state of emergency to free up resources within that particular level of government, as well as requesting further assistance from higher levels of government. As the declaration is expanded (state, federal), then more resources would be made available at those levels.
If you explore the sites the links of which I provided earlier, you can find the different processes involved and what emergency assistance is available at each level, up to federal assistance.

Here is a more direct link on reporting damages, from the Washington Military Department site: http://www.emd.wa.gov/disaster/disaster_report_damages_residence_business.shtml

The type of emergency assistance needed is first assessed at the local level, then the county level, to see if the emergency requires more assistance than is available locally, before asking for state and federal assistance. There can be, in other words, local emergencies declared that will require no state or federal assistance.

susansusan

Thank you for the information and links. A county commissioner's office in Washington recently declared a state of emergency after the depredation of 2 cows by wolves. I was wondering what could/would happen next. I think your answers explain.

Thank you!

quincy

Thank you for the information and links. A county commissioner's office in Washington recently declared a state of emergency after the depredation of 2 cows by wolves. I was wondering what could/would happen next. I think your answers explain.

Thank you!
The information provided through the links is good information, isn't it? :)

I can sort of understand the emergency if wolves are becoming a problem in the county (e.g., if they are moving into residential areas and attacking domestic animals).

CdwJava

As a note, in CA our drought is driving many of these animals into the cities. Locally we have had two mountain lion sightings and a bear in the city limits, and coyotes are ranging into farms and fields just outside of town where they have not been seen very many times before.

quincy

As a note, in CA our drought is driving many of these animals into the cities. Locally we have had two mountain lion sightings and a bear in the city limits, and coyotes are ranging into farms and fields just outside of town where they have not been seen very many times before.
I know in some states wolves or other wild animals are protected species under state laws (or under federal laws) and cannot be hunted or killed. This can lead a county to declaring a state of emergency if these protected species move into populated areas and start posing a danger to domestic animals (and to residents). State or federal government assistance may be needed to allow for limited hunting or to assist in the capture and relocation of the animals.

Michigan has been having an increasing problem with a whole assortment of wild animals (coyotes, bears and deer among others) that have been forced to move into populated areas, as their regular habitats have disappeared through land developments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">