• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What prior felony convictions prohibit international travel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmein

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am wondering if someone I know can get a passport with a felony theft conviction from a few years ago. The U.S passport/visa guide has a FAQ with this statement:
"The Passport Agency screens an applicant's background during the application process. Passports will be denied for the following reasons: 1. Outstanding child support 2. Outstanding Felony/Criminal Warrant (Not including Civil infractions or parking tickets) Prior Felony Conviction that prohibits international travel."

It doesn't specify which prior convictions would qualify.

Can anyone answer this for me?

Thanks!

spreskill

an outstanding warrent is much different from a conviction. I would contact them at the 800 number just to be certain, as I am not an attorney. But from that law, a conviction does not apply. A felony warrent would mean you're on the run.
however, it does say that a prior felony conviction that prohibits international travel. that is why I'd call them.

watchamacallit

bmein said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am wondering if someone I know can get a passport with a felony theft conviction from a few years ago. The U.S passport/visa guide has a FAQ with this statement:
"The Passport Agency screens an applicant's background during the application process. Passports will be denied for the following reasons: 1. Outstanding child support 2. Outstanding Felony/Criminal Warrant (Not including Civil infractions or parking tickets) Prior Felony Conviction that prohibits international travel."

It doesn't specify which prior convictions would qualify.

Can anyone answer this for me?

Thanks!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bmein

the only info I could find is this

http://frwebgate4.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=49148614578+7+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

I also ran accross some sites saying that it was " up to the discretion of the Passport Agency" - NOT!!! :) You can get a passport and as an extra freebie read this and you'll laugh::D

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05477.pdf

let me know if u really found out about a "prior felony conviction that prohibits international travel " aside from national security stuff.. ok ?

[email protected]

Randy Floyd

found the answer

yes - your friend can obtain a passport - find the details here: answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=227365

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">