• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WI Family Daycare License Denial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mariehouse

I live in WI and had applied for my family daycare license. I received a letter from the States Dept of Children and Families saying that my license was denied due to me falsifying information on my background check disclosure form. I had stated that I had never been convicted of a crime, and they found that I was charged for obstructing an officer 8yrs ago. At the time I filled out this background disclosure form I had completely forgotten about this incident (Obstructing charge was because I had lied to an officer). It happened during a time I was in an abusive relationship and my head wasnt on straight...I had erased these bad memories from my mind and had not remembered this incident that happened back then. I had been stopped a couple times for driving with a suspended license way back when, before this obstructing charge had happened, and when I read the instructions on the background check form, I was under the impression that the question was asking about charges relating to caring for children: child abuse, battery, murder, drunk/drug charges...things like that. Since my driving with a suspended license tickets werent listed on the potential barriers for obtaining a daycare license, I didnt include them on ther form. Like I said I competely had forgotten about the obstruction charge!

I have held a family daycare certificatiion from the County I live in and my certifier had thought she would have to revoke my certification, because she must have some how overlooked this Obstruction charge when doing the exact same background check back in December of 2010. My certifier recently infoprmed me that she had reveiwed the Obstrucion Case files and the County will NOT revoke my certification, but she cant do anything about the licensing decision of denying me my license. All that happened with the county is I have a section on my certificate that states, "It is found that Marie House did not intentionally omit information on the Background Information Disclosure dated 12/15/10. Regular certification remains intact. Marie must always provide accurate and truthful information as stipulated in the Certification Standard & Checklist." this includes my certifier's signature and date.

Anyway, I sent in a letter of appeal to the Department and just received an email about a hearing set for the middle of Oct. I have never gone through anything like this before, and I want to make sure I am completely prepared for this hearing. What do I need to do to be ready? What kind of items should I have prepared to present during the hearing? I was told that the defense attorney & I should communicate with one another to narrow the issues for hearing, and if possible to settle this matter without the need for a hearing.

What would I say if I called this defense attorney? I have no idea and dont know what to do. Please help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">