• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work history for SF-86?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brad miller

So I don't intend to apply for a Secret clearance until the near future (3-7 years from now). I am currently unemployed but finally just a got job offer that at least pays somewhat well. But I actually intend to start grad school this fall and I wanted to earn some extra money before I start. I realize theres also the chance that I may not like the job after a month or so and may want to quit because of it if I feel that I am not developing skills (ie Excel, etc) that are relevant to my career. If this employer becomes angry at me if I quit after a month or so, even if I seemed enthusiastic about the work at first, how badly could that hurt my chances of getting a Secret clearance in the future?

I heard that for the Work History, that the investigators will not be concerned if I quit this job if I give 2 weeks notice and as long as I don't display disturbing behaviors, like not showing to work, not performing the work duties, etc, right?

If I take this job and later quit, it will be because I will not like the work duties, the work environment, or I would have to leave for grad school.

Last edited:

brad miller

I'm not familiar with the whole process. But also, isn't a polygraph test involved in the investigation as well? If it is, could it be used for theWork experience section? I don't want to take the chance of getting caught for lying (ie, I say I don't like the job when in fact I had to quit in order to start grad school) as to why I would quit this job, if I took it.

brad miller

I see. I'm just worried about having to be subjected to a Lifesytle Polygraph in the future. I was denied my previous INTERIM clearance a year ago because in the Mental Health section, i did not provide enough details about who I saw and why I saw them

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">