• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

zip code and insurance rates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikekor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
I have been a resident of East Haven CT for 20years. East haven zip is 06512. My area of EH, for reasons unclear as yet, is under zip 06513. The post office says it is because my part of east haven is serviced by a new haven post office??This zip is for town of New Haven. This discrepancy puts me in a higher risk group for auto insurance with my new carrier, to the tune of $300 dollars. How do i get my zip code changed and get out of the higher risk class?? I live in a beautiful residential neighborhood, but i am paying inner city insurance rates.

ecmst12

Insurance rates have nothing to do with whether your zip code is considered urban or suburban or "nice" or "ghetto". It is simply based on the number of claims filed from people who live in that zip code historically. Insurance rates are a numbers game, pure and simple. It's all about the statistics.

mikekor

Insurance rates have nothing to do with whether your zip code is considered urban or suburban or "nice" or "ghetto". It is simply based on the number of claims filed from people who live in that zip code historically. Insurance rates are a numbers game, pure and simple. It's all about the statistics.
I find it hard to believe that my suburb has more claims than the city of New Haven, especially with regard to motorcycle insurance and the risks of owning one in my town.

mikekor

This is a nonsensical statement...
What is so nonsensical?? I just spent 3 hours of my day driving between city hall and 2 post offices,only to have each assign responsibilityto the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is so nonsensical?? I just spent 3 hours of my day driving between city hall and 2 post offices,only to have each assign responsibilityto the other.
Your post was nonsensical. It means that it made no sense when read in the context that you presented..

Last edited by a moderator:

ecmst12

I find it hard to believe that my suburb has more claims than the city of New Haven, especially with regard to motorcycle insurance and the risks of owning one in my town.
What you are able to believe is completely irrelevent.

I would suggest you call around and get some quotes from other insurance companies.

justalayman

What is so nonsensical?? I just spent 3 hours of my day driving between city hall and 2 post offices,only to have each assign responsibilityto the other. .
responsibility for what? The USPS designates any given area a zip code. What they designate the zip code is not up for debate nor change unless the USPS determines it is in their best interest to change any given areas zip code.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Municipalities do not decide what zip code they are in - it's the post office.

I lived in a place once that was in town X. Years ago the post office decided that they did not wish to send letter carriers across a busy parkway to deliver the mail so the zip was changed and the post office servicing the house was in town Y. Not only was it a different town, but the two were in different counties.

Caused some confusion with the phone company, utilities, etc because the house was physically in a different town and county than it's mailing address indicated.

But that was the post office's decision, NOT the towns involved.

If you're not happy with that then it's probably too bad. Did you speak to the postmaster or a clerk at the post office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">