• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Zoning Board of Adjustment - Continuation of Application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bruce Davis IX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

A neighboring family, whom I'll call "the applicants", filed a construction application over a year ago with the municipal Zoning Board of Adjustment seeking a variance. After several months of delays requested by the applicants' attorney, it was finally heard. During the hearing, the board discovered erroneous information presented in the application, substantiated by evidence presented by the applicants. At that point, their attorney requested an adjournment. The board advised that the public would have to be re-noticed, which the applicants did. This time, however, it was a notice for an interpretation. Again, there were several continuation requests by the attorney (NJSA 40:55D-72.1). When the application was finally heard, several neighbors spoke in opposition, citing well-established municipal law. The applicants attorney again requested a continuation. Following the hearing, there have been at least four consecutive requests to continue without further notice to the public, all of which have been granted by the board. The reasons being: Insufficient amount of voting members for a variance; Weather problems; Vacations; Illness; etc.

I understand that NJSA 40:55D-73 provides the following relief: "Failure of the board to render a decision within such 120-day period or within such further time as may be consented to by the applicant, shall constitute a decision favorable to the applicant." My question is, based on the above facts, has the 120-day period elapsed? And if so, can a default favorable judgment to the applicants be appealed by interested parties? Is there also any limitation on how often such an application can be continued?

FlyingRon

I understand that NJSA 40:55D-73 provides the following relief: "Failure of the board to render a decision within such 120-day period or within such further time as may be consented to by the applicant, shall constitute a decision favorable to the applicant." My question is, based on the above facts, has the 120-day period elapsed? And if so, can a default favorable judgment to the applicants be appealed by interested parties? Is there also any limitation on how often such an application can be continued?
Until the case is ready for a decision (i.e., the applicant presents all their materials), the 120 day clock shouldn't start running. It's not a timer on the proceedings, but how long the board can "mull over" whether to deny or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">