• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aggravated assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HollyRox

What is the name of your state? Texas.
My brother was the victim in an aggravated assault. He was blind-sighted by a guy who jumped out and hit him in the face with a metal chair. There was no provocation from my brother or anything, and there were several witnesses. This individual was arrested, put in jail, and charged. The guy thought my brother was someone else who he had an altercation with a year prior and my brother had never seen him before in his life! His jaw was broke in several places, and during surgery he had complications from the anesthesia and almost died. He was placed in ICU for several days, and his doctor bills are now totaling over $150K. He does not have medical insurance, and a friend of mine told me we need to get a lawyer involved NOW.

The incident occurred at a third party’s home. There were kids there drinking underage. Would going after this individual’s home owner’s insurance be the best course of action? I’m afraid the 19 yr old who did this to him wouldn’t be much good to sue to get his medical bills taken care of, but I’m not sure what to do. My brother is 19 also, and doesn’t have a lot of $$ for lawyer’s fees, court cost etc… So please give me some advice on what I should do.

K'Ta

HollyRox said:
What is the name of your state? Texas.
My brother was the victim in an aggravated assault. He was blind-sighted by a guy who jumped out and hit him in the face with a metal chair. There was no provocation from my brother or anything, and there were several witnesses. This individual was arrested, put in jail, and charged. The guy thought my brother was someone else who he had an altercation with a year prior and my brother had never seen him before in his life! His jaw was broke in several places, and during surgery he had complications from the anesthesia and almost died. He was placed in ICU for several days, and his doctor bills are now totaling over $150K. He does not have medical insurance, and a friend of mine told me we need to get a lawyer involved NOW.

The incident occurred at a third party’s home. There were kids there drinking underage. Would going after this individual’s home owner’s insurance be the best course of action? I’m afraid the 19 yr old who did this to him wouldn’t be much good to sue to get his medical bills taken care of, but I’m not sure what to do. My brother is 19 also, and doesn’t have a lot of $$ for lawyer’s fees, court cost etc… So please give me some advice on what I should do.
For 150k plus pain and suffering I bet you can find an attorney willing to take this one on contingency. Get out the phone book and start calling personal injury attorneys.

K'Ta said:
For 150k plus pain and suffering I bet you can find an attorney willing to take this one on contingency. Get out the phone book and start calling personal injury attorneys.
I dont know about when the medical expences are 150K but, i was jumped when i was 18 by two guys, and all three of us ended up in the hospital, I believe one guy had a concusion, and the other got all the skin from his elbow scraped off all the way to the bone. I had a cut under my eye and a broken nose. so i had my nose straightend back out. The other guys were arrested for assult. and when they went to court, the judge made them pay for my medical bills, and I also received around $300 for restitution. I had insurance at the time, and didnt ask for anything. guys covered everything, the insurance didnt have to pay a penny...

You might want to talk to the District attorney, he might be able to make the medical bills and restitution part of the judgement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">