• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Animal Shelter Vounteer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I am a volunteer foster family at my local animal shelter. I typically foster animals who are near the end of their life due to old age. I take care of them and give them a loving home so that they do not die in the shelter. Occasionally, with some of these animals, the animal shelter deems it necessary to have them euthanized. This is something I have learned to deal with over time.

I have also been known to foster animals that are post surgical and care for their stitches or staples and make sure that they are kept clean, dry, and receive their medication until they are ready to be placed up for adoption.

A few months ago, cat season hit hard and the shelter was literally overflowing with cats and kittens. A few weeks ago, against my better judgment, I agreed to foster 2 litters of kittens. However, all vet costs for a foster animal are supposed to be covered by the animal shelter, and medical care is supposed to be prompt for the animals that are fostered out.

At this point I have a 12 year old poodle that they have been promising to euthanize due to serious pain in his back. This pain has been caused by a tumor on between his L-3 and L-4 vertebrae. It has gotten to the point where this poor little guy cannot walk on his own at all, he just drags his back legs. He cannot go outside because he doesn't even know when he has to go. He has been in this condition for about 1 month and they have not even called about a vet visit, even though I have called them asking for about 5 weeks now.

I also have a 16 + year old mixed breed dog that has bone cancer and severe dementia. They were supposed to have her euthanized a week ago due to severe pain in her legs and hips. Also because the vet was concerned that her quality of life is practically zero at this time. I am honestly sure she doesn't even know she is a dog anymore. She does not eat, for the most part does not drink, and she lays and pees on herself. Because of this I place her on bed pads and clean her daily so she does not begin to get sores.

I ended up having to pay for a third dog's medication this month. He is on medication for cushing's disease and they did not order the refill. When I asked them if they were going to get his meds, they told me to bring him in and they would euthanize him.

To top this off, on Friday, I called them to let them know that one of the kittens I had was showing symptoms of Panleuk, a very deadly disease in cats that must be treated by a vet immediately or the cat will not survive.It is similar to the flu in humans and is airborn to cats. So basically, by the time I knew that the cat was infected, all the cats were infected. The incubation period was 48 hours, they became ill within 24 hours of me bringing them home. I was told by the animal shelter that they were not exposed to any cats that had panleuk while they were in the shelter. However, I overlooked the fact that they were actually exposed, after all there are over 200 cats in the shelter and it is an airborne virus. One died on Saturday after a long begging session from me to have it seen by a vet and start IV's on its siblings. However, I was told that no matter what I do they are going to die, no vet visit.

Frustrated, I gave up. Today I lost 2 more kittens and the other 2 are dying. That will leave me with no kittens. However, still no vet visit for the ones that are sick. I called another foster mom to vent my frustrations and ask if she had any tips on how to help the kittens to remain hydrated. Apparently if you can keep them hydrated and alive for 5 days they can survive the virus. She told me that by the time she had determined that her kittens had panleuk, they were too far gone and the vet euthanized them.

I was furious, why is she getting vet visits and I am not. I know this is a selfish way to look at it, but when I asked the shelter director, he stated that he figured I could emotionally handle seeing the cats die, where the other foster parent could not. Mind you, the death that they suffer from panleuk is a very painful, violent death. The cat suffers from severe vomiting and diarrhea and their skin an muscles rigor mortis before they die. After they become paralyzed they are still in pain for hours and vomit until they die. Usually by the time you catch the symptoms, it is too late to stop the disease. The only way to stop it is when one begins showing symptoms, you must euthanize it. You must then start all the cats and kittens it has come into contact with on IV fluids and antibiotics.

I personally would have taken them to the vet and paid for treatment myself. However, with the way our shelter has the vet care set up, we are not legally allowed to seek vet care at their expense without their permission and since it is not our animal we cannot legally seek treatment for an animal that is not ours even if we pay for it ourselves or we could be fined a great deal of money.

I understand that it is their money and it is their call, but certain situations need to be taken care of in a time sensitive manner. I no longer plan on fostering for them because of their practice, but what can I do to get them to handle the situations they have already agreed to since it is not in writing other than I have these specific animals in foster and they have xyz as untreated health problems?

they are just cats ... relax , you would have taken them to another vet if you wanted to but you didn't and now they are dead. You said you would have but you did not so you kinda lose credibility on that statement.

Don't be down on yourself though as they are only cats.

Vets don't have the same legal responsibilities as human doctors.

I think you should stop dealing with these last-on-their-legs animals; most should just be put down. An animal that drags its legs needs to be put down.

Mass_Shyster

Call the shelter and let them know that you are returning the animals because you do not have adequate resources to care for them.

they are just cats ... relax , you would have taken them to another vet if you wanted to but you didn't and now they are dead. You said you would have but you did not so you kinda lose credibility on that statement.

Don't be down on yourself though as they are only cats.

Vets don't have the same legal responsibilities as human doctors.

I think you should stop dealing with these last-on-their-legs animals; most should just be put down. An animal that drags its legs needs to be put down.
The problem actually is that the animals are all micro chipped before they leave the shelter for foster. When they go in to a vet, they are automatically scanned to check for correct address and phone number. Their owner registers as the animal shelter until they are adopted. They do this to prevent having the animals treated unless they authorize it and to ensure that when an animal is adopted that it is not given away. The contract you sign when you adopt animals states that if you cannot take care of the animal or do not want it, you must return it to the animal shelter.

Trust me, if there was a way to take the cats to the vet, I would have, mostly because it is nerve racking to see them die that painful death.

Taking them to another vet and lying about their ownership would make me a liar. The shelter personnel being liars is what I am complaining about. How would I be any better than them if I I lied even if it was for a good cause?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Please understand, I feel for your predicament. Honestly, my suggestion is you not subject these animals to torture, if they cannot be helped. Ask a neighbor w/a .22 to euthanize them and end their suffering.

(before anyone attacks me for this, understand I once spent $850 for a cat to have kidney stones removed)

ecmst12

Of course that is likely illegal AND dangerous. Worst idea ever. Take the animals back to the shelter.

Please understand, I feel for your predicament. Honestly, my suggestion is you not subject these animals to torture, if they cannot be helped. Ask a neighbor w/a .22 to euthanize them and end their suffering.

(before anyone attacks me for this, understand I once spent $850 for a cat to have kidney stones removed)
I just spent $5,000 in vet bills for my cat. The first bill was for her back, my neighbor was shutting his garage door and she got stuck in it. It fractured 3 vertebrae. I then had a vet bill for an emergency radical hysterectomy because the kittens she was pregnant with were coming out breech because of the vertebrae being out of place. Then she decided to slap the neighbors pit-bull 4 months later and had to have her leg amputated. Her stubborn attitude caused her to pull out her stitches, which were replaced by staples, and she used her teeth as a staple remover and pulled them out. (yes she was wearing her lamp shade thing but she kept getting out of it some how.)

I fell into this type of foster by accident. I originally wanted to foster dogs in order to train them so they could find better homes easier. They needed someone to foster a dog that had issues and was in the shelter for a long period of time. He deserved to have a home for at least a short time before he died. I agreed. So then they decided that it was a great idea to let the ones who were on death row spend time with a family before they get their lethal injection. Now they are slacking on their duties to these animals.

Of course that is likely illegal AND dangerous. Worst idea ever. Take the animals back to the shelter.
This is what I am going to do. I am taking them down first thing Monday morning. I was just hoping that there was something I could do to get some type of justice for these animals. They deserve a peaceful death, not to lay and suffer on a concrete floor.

OHRoadwarrior

I realize that, from your post. Whether you realize it or not, this truly is not about them. They will continue to administer their program as they choose. Requesting less of their resources, may solve the problem. Perhaps you need to divest yourself of all the emotional responsibilities, for your own mental health.

justalayman

the legality: why? I know where I live it would be quite legal in general. The only legality I would worry about is how the shelter would respond to it. They might be concerned that you killed the animals rather than them and may not have been humane in your actions.

to being dangerous; only if you do not know how to handle a gun and if that is the case, you shouldn't have one.

ecmst12

I live in a neighborhood so close that it would pretty much never be safe to discharge a firearm on your property. I forget that some people have land and stuff.

justalayman

I live in a neighborhood so close that it would pretty much never be safe to discharge a firearm on your property. I forget that some people have land and stuff.
a Ha!! Yes, in my area you cannot discharge a firearm within 300 feet of building. No problem for me.

I would not expect the suggestion to be followed unless the "shooter" could do it legally.

CJane

I just spent $5,000 in vet bills for my cat. The first bill was for her back, my neighbor was shutting his garage door and she got stuck in it. It fractured 3 vertebrae. I then had a vet bill for an emergency radical hysterectomy because the kittens she was pregnant with were coming out breech because of the vertebrae being out of place. Then she decided to slap the neighbors pit-bull 4 months later and had to have her leg amputated. Her stubborn attitude caused her to pull out her stitches, which were replaced by staples, and she used her teeth as a staple remover and pulled them out. (yes she was wearing her lamp shade thing but she kept getting out of it some how.)
No longer fostering is probably the best idea you ever had. Because the above is a litany of incredibly irresponsible pet ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">