• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another owner of biting dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mdumbblonde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have a yellow lab that is about 9 years old. Last year he bit a neighbors child. We didn't witness the bite so we don't know if our dog was provoked. The damage was a small punture on the forearm. It didn't require stitches and he doesn't have a scar. The parents were demanding money for his pain and suffering so we went back and forth and then were advised by a lawyer friend to settle it through our homeowners policy. Well, the insurance company paid them and we hadn't heard anything for the past year. We just received notice that we are being dropped by our insurance company because of this claim. The reason we are being dropped is "on our record" so we can't find another company to insure us. Our current company is willing to reinstate us as long as we no longer have the dog. I'm not sure what to do with the dog. I guess he'll have to be destroyed. Someone suggested to me that I keep the dog but tell the insurance company that he is gone. What would happen if there was another incident?

PJ Weber

Someone suggested to me that I keep the dog but tell the insurance company that he is gone. What would happen if there was another incident?
Then you would have to pay out of pocket . . . since there is no dog,
it cannot bit anyone, your insurance would not cover it

moburkes

The claim being on your CLUE report isn't causing your problems. Every insurance agent should ask if you have a vicious dog (each company has their own list) and/or if your dog has bitten. You should answer truthfully. In any case, Foremost offers insurance for your situation. You can keep your dog but they will exclude coverage for the dog. Expensive, but you can keep your dog.

By the way, if your dog bit, it didn't need to be provoked. You say that as if it may have been the child's fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">