• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault & Battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjcook

I am in Virginia, I was assaulted at work and it resulted in an arrest. I have a 2 year protective order against this person, the trial is in February. My question is this man is telling people lies about me, in a sexual content. I am a manager of a grocery store and I have people coming in and commenting on what this person is saying. Is there any way I can prevent him from spreading these lies. This is affecting my job and it would seem that he can say anything to try to take the blame off of himself. Also, there is a recording from the security tapes that prove he assaulted me.

sjcook

He is telling people that we have been having an affair for 25 years and that I was jealous because he dumped me for another woman. He even went as far as to say that he thought he was the father of my son. Both of my children were born before I moved to Virginia and the only reason I know him is because he lived on the same street we did 15 years ago.(My children are ages 23 and 21) I was approached by one of his friends and told me that as long as I wasn't with him anymore he got permission to "hook up with me". This is so totally humiliating and makes me physically sick that he would make people think this is true.

swalsh411

What evidence do you have that anybody believes him? Are your friends and associates such idiots that they believe everything they are told?

sjcook

My friends and associates do not believe him. They know who I am and they have known me for years and know that none of what he says is true. The people who are repeating these things are his friends and people that I do not associate with. This was not the first time that the police were involved, he has been coming into the store and harassing everyone in the store. My concern is that if one of these friends of his comes in and says something that a customer can hear.

swalsh411

So how much time and money do you have to spend to file a lawsuit against a person who may not have any assets to collect because he is telling lies that nobody you care about believes?

LdiJ

So how much time and money do you have to spend to file a lawsuit against a person who may not have any assets to collect because he is telling lies that nobody you care about believes?
Seriously, unless he does something that causes you actual economic damage you have no where to go with this. However, people talking to you about him and about "permisson" he has given may be a violation of the restraining order. The whole "hookup" thing is a potential example. Therefore do feel free to talk to the police about what he is doing. It may get you no where, but it also might get him violated on the restraining order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">