• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault and battery case. Advice needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wyest1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? City of Portland, state of Oregon.

Hello all,

I was recently attacked, unprovoked, in a bar in my town. I was punched in the head then strangled then thrown to the ground and kicked successively. The attacker was 6'4 at 253 pounds with little me being 5 8' at 155 pounds. I don't know the man nor why he attacked other than he was drunk and angry at the world. I have suffered serious bruises as well as what seems to be a concussion. I currently have multiple symptoms of concussion. I have not yet sought medical care but I am going tomorrow, one day and a half after the attack. (I did not got before as the only option was the emergency medical room which I cannot afford so I have taken the risk of waiting to see a doctor under my own catastrophic health plan).

The man was arrested and charged with assault and strangulation then released. There is a court date and I need to set this up with the local DA.

The bar has told me that the attack was videotaped. There were also multiple witnesses. I would like to sue the attacker in a civil case. Can anyone give me advice in this realm. Should I seek smalls claims court myself or should I hire a personal injury lawyer? One of the biggest worries is that I am having a hard time focusing, not only mentally but with my eyes. I work as a photographer and I fear the attacker may have done permanent damage to my vision. This would be catastrophic for me. I am only 37 years old.

I have never sued before nor been involved in such matters. Can anyone give me some solid steps to effectively approach this with?

Thank you!

OHRoadwarrior

At the moment, you have no damages. If you do not seek treatment immediately, it will diminish any claim of severe damage you may raise. If you have a serious concussion, don't sleep for long periods without having someone wake you up. You should consider an anti-inflammatory and ice.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">