• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attacked by the FDNY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Something crazy happened the other night. I was driving my taxi in NYC and tried to pass a stopped fire truck, but the firefighters were trying to back the truck into the fire station. One of the fire fighters then proceeded to charge my taxi and bash the hood with his fists or some other object. I then tried to drive around him and another fire fighter attacked my door. My passengers inside the taxi were scared to death They actually said "I will not give you a tip, I was scared for my life" Who should I report this incident to? Could I sue NYC/FDNY????

Isis1

what are your damages? was the hood of the car damaged? the door? did the passengers not pay the full fare on the meter?

tranquility

Even if on-duty fire fighters didn't have qualified immunity for their acts, the cost to sue the city would be far greater than zero. Or, zero, plus a tip.

Maybe no damages, but wouldn't the damage to the FDNYs reputation be worth millions? Esp. if I can find a security cam video of the incident?

OHRoadwarrior

Maybe no damages, but wouldn't the damage to the FDNYs reputation be worth millions? Esp. if I can find a security cam video of the incident?
Nope, however, I am sure the NYPD will be happy to identify you and cite you for almost running down 2 of NY's best, in addition to your status as the most hated cabby in NY.

tranquility

Not to you. Besides, um...no. I remember a cop on video knocking down a bicyclist for no reason. (Well, there was a reason, just not a sufficient one.) The city gets stuff like this all the time. Maybe you can make a complaint. That's it. You have no damages and will receive nothing from the city to compensate you for your no damages.

Isis1

sorry bud. but there is no way you can ruin the reputation of hundreds of men and women that stormed into several burning buildings along with the many that actually died on 9/11.

in fact...that one firefighter that got all "hulksmash" on you? he could have dragged you out of your car and hung you by your shoe and it still would have not taken down the entire FDNY.

i suspect your posting history proves my theory about you....let's have a look, shall we?

tranquility

Nope, however, I am sure the NYPD will be happy to identify you and cite you for almost running down 2 of NY's best, in addition to your status as the most hated cabby in NY.
And that's where I think this will end up too, if pushed. Even if the OP is innocent, everyone loves a firefighter. All of them will testify OP was reckless and dangerous and they were just trying to stop him from killing someone. Once the OP identifies, the city will move forward with identification and indictment. It will be glorious.

sandyclaus

You're kidding, right?

You saw that the truck was being directed back into the firehouse. You created both a safety and traffic hazard to them, and the firefighter directed you to stop. Instead of being patient for a couple of minutes it might take for the truck to back safely into the firehouse, you decided, the h-e-double hockey sticks with their safety, I'm going to go around them and cause a traffic problem of my own".

Dude, you sure have a set on you. Causing a hazard, a scene, and then trying to sue and line your own seemingly bottomless pockets because of your own idiocy? Get real. I wouldn't have tipped you, either, for disrespecting FDNY's finest that way.

*P-tooey*

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Something crazy happened the other night. I was driving my taxi in NYC and tried to pass a stopped fire truck, but the firefighters were trying to back the truck into the fire station. One of the fire fighters then proceeded to charge my taxi and bash the hood with his fists or some other object. I then tried to drive around him and another fire fighter attacked my door. My passengers inside the taxi were scared to death They actually said "I will not give you a tip, I was scared for my life" Who should I report this incident to? Could I sue NYC/FDNY????
So that's your story?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">