• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attica correctional facility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marlippens93

NEW YORK

My father died in 2006.My father was beat to death in Attica correctional facility. Before his death he sent us multiple letter saying that he was being tortured by correctional officers. I have all the names of everyone who tortured him, including the equipment that was used. What legal actions can I take ? My mother told me to sue once I turned 18 since Im his daughter. PLEASE HELP ME !

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Unfortunately, any claim you might have had is seriously compromised due to the length of time that has elapsed. You have no ability to gather any physical evidence since all of that evidence is likely long gone. Your mom should have sought the advice of an attorney on your behalf at the time. Google the word laches.

Please feel free to call some local attorneys. If you have any sort of case, you should find that attorneys will be climbing over each other to represent you on a contingency basis.

xylene

NEW YORK

My father died in 2006.My father was beat to death in Attica correctional facility. Before his death he sent us multiple letter saying that he was being tortured by correctional officers. I have all the names of everyone who tortured him, including the equipment that was used. What legal actions can I take ? My mother told me to sue once I turned 18 since Im his daughter. PLEASE HELP ME !
You need to get a lawyer.

While it it true that too much time may have past, if these correctional officers are torturing inmates, this may not have stopped with your father.

Get a lawyer. The ACLU and other organizations that fight for inmate rights may be able to help.

It is rather surprising to me that your mother didn't initiate a suit long before now. You seriously need an attorney to look into this. I'm working on prison law suits that were filed immediatly after the incident and it is 3-4 years before we go to trial. At least in the majority of those cases evidence was preserved right away- video, reports etc. You may not have a good chance at all because since no suit was initiated, those records are likely long gone.

I think your best bet at this point could be the ACLU for a start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">