• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bitten by dog while working

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c1nnamon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My husband was bitten by dog while working for a pest control company. He has multiple bites on both hands and arms. He had to have five stitches in the palm of his right hand. The home owner wasn't at home during the time that this occurred and the dog was in the fenced in backyard. The customer has either a monthly or quarterly plan with the company and doesn't need to be home for service b/c only the outside perimeters of the home are treated. The company was aware that the customer had a dog and email was sent to advised her that a technician would be at her home sometime that week and if she needed to schedule a specific time and date(so she would be home to take care of the dog), she needed to call.

What can we do about this? How do we file a claim with her insurance company w/o causing problems for the company that he works for?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My husband was bitten by dog while working for a pest control company. He has multiple bites on both hands and arms. He had to have five stitches in the palm of his right hand. The home owner wasn't at home during the time that this occurred and the dog was in the fenced in backyard. The customer has either a monthly or quarterly plan with the company and doesn't need to be home for service b/c only the outside perimeters of the home are treated. The company was aware that the customer had a dog and email was sent to advised her that a technician would be at her home sometime that week and if she needed to schedule a specific time and date(so she would be home to take care of the dog), she needed to call.

What can we do about this? How do we file a claim with her insurance company w/o causing problems for the company that he works for?
Did he report it to his job? His job should take care of it as it was an on-the-job injury. Can the company prove she got the email? Is the dog an inside or outside animal? All this matters. The home owner isn't necessarily to blame.

c1nnamon

Did he report it to his job? His job should take care of it as it was an on-the-job injury. Can the company prove she got the email? Is the dog an inside or outside animal? All this matters. The home owner isn't necessarily to blame.
Yes, it was reported to his job. The customer confirmed she received the email and she told them she only read the first line of the email that stated a technician would be at her house during the week. I don't know if the dog is outside or inside dog.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, it was reported to his job. The customer confirmed she received the email and she told them she only read the first line of the email that stated a technician would be at her house during the week. I don't know if the dog is outside or inside dog.
Well the job should be paying for his injuries. How do you think the homeowner is to blame? She kept her dog secured. Giving a one week window is ridiculous.

c1nnamon

Well the job should be paying for his injuries. How do you think the homeowner is to blame? She kept her dog secured. Giving a one week window is ridiculous.
I'm not really saying the homeowner is to blame and I do think a one week window is ridiculous, however, the homeowner does need to take someone responsibility b/c she didn't read the entire email stating to call if she needed to schedule a specific date and time b/c she has a dog. I also think the company has a responsibility in this too and change how they deal with customers with pets.

LdiJ

I'm not really saying the homeowner is to blame and I do think a one week window is ridiculous, however, the homeowner does need to take someone responsibility b/c she didn't read the entire email stating to call if she needed to schedule a specific date and time b/c she has a dog. I also think the company has a responsibility in this too and change how they deal with customers with pets.
Nevertheless, companies have worker's compensation insurance that is specifically designed to deal with this sort of issue. Therefore he needs to report it to his job ASAP.

c1nnamon

Why do you feel the homeowner doesn't have any responsibility in this?

Silverplum

So it's not the homeowner to blame, but you want to blame her anyway?

I don't read at least half of my emails. Why should she?

c1nnamon

So it's not the homeowner to blame, but you want to blame her anyway?

I don't read at least half of my emails. Why should she?
If she has read the entire email, she would have known to do something with her dog for the day. i.e put him the house or she could have scheduled service for a specific date and time when she would be home to restrain her dog.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why do you feel the homeowner doesn't have any responsibility in this?
Because she had her dog in a fenced in back yard. Your husband entered the yard. When he saw the dog there, he could have retreated. He did not. Heck if it was a chain link fence, he probably could have seen the dog PRIOR to entering the back yard. What responsibility does your HUSBAND have for what he did?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If she has read the entire email, she would have known to do something with her dog for the day. i.e put him the house or she could have scheduled service for a specific date and time when she would be home to restrain her dog.
YOur husband could have opened his eyes and not entered the backyard once he saw the dog there. He was the one "trespassing" so to speak. Not the dog.

c1nnamon

YOur husband could have opened his eyes and not entered the backyard once he saw the dog there. He was the one "trespassing" so to speak. Not the dog.
Wow, so disgruntle, as if you're the homeowner. By the way, he didn't see the dog until the dog charged him and immediately attacked him.

Just Blue

Wow, so disgruntle, as if you're the homeowner. By the way, he didn't see the dog until the dog charged him and immediately attacked him.
Charming way to address the Attorney Volunteers that answered you.

Perhaps scooting your bottom to an Attorney that you;) put out several hundred $$ for will make you less rude. ;)

Have a nice day.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What do you want to file a claim with the homeowner's insurance company for? I'm not asking what your motivations are, I'm asking what you want compensation for...

(By "you", I mean "your husband")

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">