• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Botched Tattoo - REALLY BAD.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anjelita

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Last Sunday I got a tattoo, the "artist" messed up the lettering so many times, first drawing it illegibly, then putting on the stencil upside down, then way too much to the side, by the time he finally got it on right there were so many other letters still visible underneath. Anyway, he misspelled a word, "beatiful" instead of "beautiful", I didn't notice until I got home because it was bandaged up. Called the store right away, the guy that did the tattoo said to wait for it to scab then peel the letters off, the receptionist told me the same, another employee said to get a salt/water mixture/scrub and rub away the bea to lighten it, so my husband and I did this right away. Rubbed it raw. I went to the shop the next day to talk to the owners (they own 3 stores in downtown philly, 2 in New Jersey and several in Hawaii). They gave me my money back, said they would do whatever needed to be done to fix it - laser removal, cover up, anything. 2 days later the salt scrubbed part got infected - ended up in the ER, the DR said I was a day away from them having to start cutting out the infection - they wanted to keep me there to give me antibiotics thru an IV, but I've got 2 babies at home so they agreed to let me try oral antibiotics first - if it didn't get better by the next morning to come back in. It is getting better and now the infection is contained to only the bea instead of up my whole arm. It hurts REALLY bad, DR said it's connected to tendons etc etc, so I have horrible shooting pain up and down my arm. Today the bea scab fell off, along with most of the ink from the bea. I have a huge chunk of my skin missing there, I am sure it's going to leave a huge scar.

I need advice, yea, sure, the owners were nice and made promises, but what if I end up with this huge scar on my arm forever? Or, what if they don't make good on their promise to laser remove or cover it? I did sign a waiver, the waiver I signed had the words spelled correctly. When I met with the owners, they made sure to say that the waiver I signed said I could leave their shop with no head and they wouldn't be liable. That they were being nice because this isn't how they treat their customers etc etc... What do I do from here? I have pics documented from beginning till now. Please help =(. I'm a mom of 3, this was supposed to be a tiny tattoo, not this.

I can post photos if needed.

Anjelita

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with those abbreviations. Apologies if my post was not concise enough... Just looking for advice.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Last Sunday I got a tattoo, the "artist" messed up the lettering so many times, first drawing it illegibly, then putting on the stencil upside down, then way too much to the side, by the time he finally got it on right there were so many other letters still visible underneath. Anyway, he misspelled a word, "beatiful" instead of "beautiful", I didn't notice until I got home because it was bandaged up. Called the store right away, the guy that did the tattoo said to wait for it to scab then peel the letters off, the receptionist told me the same, another employee said to get a salt/water mixture/scrub and rub away the bea to lighten it, so my husband and I did this right away. Rubbed it raw. I went to the shop the next day to talk to the owners (they own 3 stores in downtown philly, 2 in New Jersey and several in Hawaii). They gave me my money back, said they would do whatever needed to be done to fix it - laser removal, cover up, anything. 2 days later the salt scrubbed part got infected - ended up in the ER, the DR said I was a day away from them having to start cutting out the infection - they wanted to keep me there to give me antibiotics thru an IV, but I've got 2 babies at home so they agreed to let me try oral antibiotics first - if it didn't get better by the next morning to come back in. It is getting better and now the infection is contained to only the bea instead of up my whole arm. It hurts REALLY bad, DR said it's connected to tendons etc etc, so I have horrible shooting pain up and down my arm. Today the bea scab fell off, along with most of the ink from the bea. I have a huge chunk of my skin missing there, I am sure it's going to leave a huge scar.

I need advice, yea, sure, the owners were nice and made promises, but what if I end up with this huge scar on my arm forever? Or, what if they don't make good on their promise to laser remove or cover it? I did sign a waiver, the waiver I signed had the words spelled correctly. When I met with the owners, they made sure to say that the waiver I signed said I could leave their shop with no head and they wouldn't be liable. That they were being nice because this isn't how they treat their customers etc etc... What do I do from here? I have pics documented from beginning till now. Please help =(. I'm a mom of 3, this was supposed to be a tiny tattoo, not this.

I can post photos if needed.
Honestly? I'm pretty sure that the tattoo shop's liability stopped when you resorted to amateur methods to try to remove the tattoo. It was your rubbing the area raw, especially so soon after the initial tattooing, and improper after care that caused the massive infection. You can't attribute that mistake to the shop - especially given the very poor job they did in the first place. The tattoo would have to be removed by later and re-done.

The limit of liability that the shop may have would be POSSIBLY the laser removal or cover of the work - and even then, the waiver may prevent that. What is in writing on that waiver will trump ANY promises or claims the staff may have made. YOU will end up fully responsible for the cost to treat the infection that you caused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">