• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buyer did not transfer title to his name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shoehound0316

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Twelve years ago, I sold a four wheeler (quad runner) recreational vehicle to a family friend. Last week, he got into an accident on it and is now in the hospital. His brother called and told me that the four wheeler title was still in my name (after 12 years!). I'm not sure what to do, as I don't want to be held liable for the four wheeler or the accident. btw, I was out of the state when the accident happened and the actual owner of it may have been drunk while operating it. Should I ask them to get a letter notarized saying the brother purchased it from me 12 years ago and that it has not been in my possession since then? They asked me to write a letter of some sort, but I'm thinking they should be the ones to write the letter? I'm just not sure what to do. Any legal advice would be appreciated. :confused:

ecmst12

You get your bill of sale and your proof of payment. But do you think your friend would even THINK of trying to sue you for his own negligence?

justalayman

so, what is the problem here? Unless somebody is attempting to include you in some suit due to the ownership issue, I don't see why it makes any difference here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">