• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a family of a suicide victim sue based on the suicide note?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTD

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have a crazy but true story:

I have an ex-friend from back in high school who cannot get over my sister to this day because she refused to date him 11 years ago! :confused:

They have not seen each other since she firmly declined his advances. I know over the years (from some of the inner circle of friends he and I share) he badmouthed her all over our hometown, hoping that would be "leverage" for her to go out with him :rolleyes:, but she ignored all that stuff, carried on with her life, and she got married three months ago. :) When he recently learned that she got married, again from what I've been told through our inner circle who informed him of this news, he was devastated.

I have not personally seen him in nine years myself. Our last meetup was unpleasant and ended our friendship, but primarily the cause is based on what I mentioned above.

I am thinking of this wild scenario where if he ever commits suicide and writes a suicide note stating my sister (or me or my whole family) is to blame because she "didn't want to marry him" or "he can never live without her..." - can his family actually have legal grounds to do anything to her (or us) despite the clear fact they never had contact with each other for well over a decade? Could she be held responsible for his death? Does the suicide note carry much weight?

I know his family history back in school, and its a disturbing one... his younger sister attempted suicide when she was only 13. So thats why I cannot rule out this possibility.

MTD

Well I'm not talking about a teenager here. My ex-friend happens to be 35, going on 36. :eek: His sister BTW is now 33.

Last edited:

moburkes

I know his family history back in school, and its a disturbing one... his younger sister attempted suicide when she was only 13. So thats why I cannot rule out this possibility.
Until it happens, you need to find a new hobby.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'll answer the question seriously, although I agree with the above posters.

No, the family would have no grounds to sue your sister or your family. Your sister could in no way be held responsible for his death.

Now, I want you to do two things. In this order.

1.) Call a pyschologist and make an appointment. You are in serious need of someone to talk to.

2.) Get a hobby. Preferably one that takes a lot of mental energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">