• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file a federal tort lawsuit on someone who lives in Texas when I live in NC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dtj122389

Hello, my name is David Thomas. I was in a relationship with a man from Texas that I lived with for four months. In that time frame, he was very abusive and did certain things that I do believe directly resulted in some physical and emotional injuries that I currently have. I do not want to divulge too much information at this point. I just need to know if a verbal agreement between me and the other person, who is known to be a pathological liar, can be used in court to prove the element of duty of care. And, if it can be, would a polygraph test be in order. Thank you for your time.

FlyingRon

First off, I doubt you have anything actionable in either a state or federal court. Just because someone "done you wrong" isn't grounds for an award. A polygraph is in order for what? Polygraphs are not admissible in court.

Frankly, you've not got a prayer given what you said. If you think you might, you'll need an attorney that you can be frank with as to the situation and he can pursue how to challenge the veracity of the other party if it ever gets that far.

Proserpina

Hello, my name is David Thomas. I was in a relationship with a man from Texas that I lived with for four months. In that time frame, he was very abusive and did certain things that I do believe directly resulted in some physical and emotional injuries that I currently have. I do not want to divulge too much information at this point. I just need to know if a verbal agreement between me and the other person, who is known to be a pathological liar, can be used in court to prove the element of duty of care. And, if it can be, would a polygraph test be in order. Thank you for your time.
OP, I'm saying this for your own good, okay? Please delete your thread, and use a different user name to re-register. Don't include any personal information.

Okay?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">