• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for pain and suffering?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amienika

I live in Santa Cruz, CA

I had sex with a man about 2 weeks ago, and then he dropped off the face of the earth (after agreeing to be in a committed, monogamous relationship with me)… he then resurfaced after about a week of constant text messaging and leaving voicemails for him when I finally threatened to come into his work and confront him in person if he didn't respond, and he explained that he'd lost his cellphone… and that was why he didn't respond to my voicemails and text messages (this is fine but I have three major issues with this… )

1. I do not believe that he actually lost his cellphone…

2. The amount of pain and suffering that this put me through simply not knowing what was going on with someone who'd originally said that they were willing to be in a committed, monogamous relationship with me, then fell off the face of the earth has put me on a boarder line suicidal tendency in my life… And has caused me a TREMENDOUS amount of pain and suffering…

3. Because of my harsh reaction to him not responding to my text messages or emails, he says that he no longer wants to be in a relationship with me (this is fine but I believe that he needs to compensate me for the pain and suffering I've experienced in the past 2 weeks of my life…)

Do I have sufficient grounds to file a pain and suffering law suit against this individual?

Thanks,
Amie

ecmst12

I don't believe that he lost his cell phone either, he merely realized that you are a psychopath and he needed to get the heck away from you. No, you can't sue him because he doesn't want to enter into a committed relationship with you after having a one night stand. He doesn't owe you a relationship or anything else. I suggest you be more selective about who you sleep with and also that you stop contacting this man if you don't want to see a restraining order slapped on you in the very near future. And also, therapy.

quincy

I live in Santa Cruz, CA

... Do I have sufficient grounds to file a pain and suffering law suit against this individual? ...
No. You do not have sufficient grounds to support a pain and suffering lawsuit.

I agree with ecmst12 that you risk having a restraining order issued against you if you persist in your attempts to contact him.

I recommend you choose your partners more carefully in the future.

Eekamouse

I live in Santa Cruz, CA

I had sex with a man about 2 weeks ago, and then he dropped off the face of the earth (after agreeing to be in a committed, monogamous relationship with me)… he then resurfaced after about a week of constant text messaging and leaving voicemails for him when I finally threatened to come into his work and confront him in person if he didn't respond, and he explained that he'd lost his cellphone… and that was why he didn't respond to my voicemails and text messages (this is fine but I have three major issues with this… )

1. I do not believe that he actually lost his cellphone…

2. The amount of pain and suffering that this put me through simply not knowing what was going on with someone who'd originally said that they were willing to be in a committed, monogamous relationship with me, then fell off the face of the earth has put me on a boarder line suicidal tendency in my life… And has caused me a TREMENDOUS amount of pain and suffering…

3. Because of my harsh reaction to him not responding to my text messages or emails, he says that he no longer wants to be in a relationship with me (this is fine but I believe that he needs to compensate me for the pain and suffering I've experienced in the past 2 weeks of my life…)

Do I have sufficient grounds to file a pain and suffering law suit against this individual?

Thanks,
Amie
He doesn't owe you a thing. Perhaps in the future, you'll consider getting to know the person you jump into bed with and building a relationship first before you do the deed.

quincy

I actually have a hard time believing "Amie" really thinks a one-night-stand equals a personal injury/wrongful death claim worth pain and suffering compensation. This thread seems suspiciously like FA's typical Friday night fare.

That said, following is a link to an article written by the FreeAdvice staff titled, "Valuing Pain and Suffering Damages." It shows some of the different factors that can be considered when awarding damages.

http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/injury-law/injury-law/pain_and_suffering_factors.htm

The "tremendous" pain Amie claims to have suffered by her one-night-stand hardly compares to the amputations, severe burns, brain injuries, paralyses, and wrongful deaths where pain and suffering compensation is clearly warranted.

amienika

It wasn't a one night stand

Okay, so you people clearly didn't read my original post…

This was NOT a one night stand…

He agreed to be in a committed, monogamous relationship with me…

Then, he fell off the face of the earth…

But obviously, I don't have any legal rights in this situation…

But in terms of him filing a restraining order against me, I did some research on it, and it seems to me that there has to be a threat of violence for him to be able to do that…

And I've NEVER threatened him with violence (nor would I ever do that)… But I've sent him an average of 25-50 text messages per day… Can simply texting someone so many times really warrant a restraining order?

Thanks,
Amie

Silverplum

Yes, we all did.
amienika said:
Yes, it was.
amienika said:
To get you into bed. (as said by Ross on Friends, to his sister, a one-night-stand scenario...except Monica didn't go nutso. ;))
amienika said:
Not possible. But he clearly avoided you.
amienika said:
No, you don't.
amienika said:
But in terms of him filing a restraining order against me, I did some research on it, and it seems to me that there has to be a threat of violence for him to be able to do that…

And I've NEVER threatened him with violence (nor would I ever do that)… But I've sent him an average of 25-50 text messages per day… Can simply texting someone so many times really warrant a restraining order?

Thanks,
Amie
Yes. You're harassing him.

quincy

Thanks,
Amie
Yes, it is possible he could get a restraining order against you. With the number of voice messages and text messages you are sending him, and with your earlier threat to visit his workplace, it would not be unreasonable for him to believe you pose a threat to his safety.

You really need to stop contacting him before he takes legal action against you. If you are having difficulty handling the demise of the relationship, counseling might help.

Eekamouse

Thanks,
Amie
How old are you? Is this first sexual encounter you've ever had? Is it the only relationship you've ever had with a male?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">