• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my father sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

padova689

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My father who is 59 recently took a nasty spill down the stairs at our apartment that lead into the yard. The steps are wooden and one of the steps is missing about a quater of the wood so when he was going down at night to feed the cats in the yard he didnt have enough under his foot and went down. He completely shattered his whole side of his hip and had to undergoe surgery and go to a physical rehab for 3 1/2 weeks. He now has to use a cane to walk,and is still in pain. Landlord still hasnt fixed the step. They also knew it was broken because they had come earlier in the summer and fixed some of the deck. They are cheap people and have plenty of complaints against them from what Ive heard. So is there any point in my father to speak to a lawyer? Any help is greatly appreciated.

ecmst12

I think his chances are better than most who post here. He should definitely talk to a lawyer. Given that initial consults for personal injury cases are normally free, it pretty much never HURTS to talk to a lawyer even if you probably don't have a case.

racer72

So your father knew of the potential hazard and did not take appropriate precautions? That is why he may not have a case.

padova689

So your father knew of the potential hazard and did not take appropriate precautions? That is why he may not have a case.
So we are just not supposed to use the back deck to the yard? The landlord had someone come make repairs of the small posts on the deck here and next door and skipped over the stair. They knew it was potential hazard aswell and didnt take any precautions. Was my father supposed to fix it himself?

You Are Guilty

Dad needs a PI lawyer. Ask friends for recommendations or click the button on this site for a referral. Many will even come to the house - he might not need to travel to speak with one.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">