• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can smartphone app authors be sued if their app is misused?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinaMarieSeabur

I am considering writing an app for the Android Market place. I was looking around Google Play and I noticed quite a few apps that provide various ways to spy on other people. Sometimes they are called "phone locator" or "tracker" or sometimes just "spy".

This sounds like fun but I was wondering if app developers ever get sued when someone, for instance, is killed by a stalker who was using one of these apps to follow them.

Has this ever happened?

I also wonder if having all of that hold harmless, do not misuse this product, jargon protects them in any way.

Thanks,
Tina

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am considering writing an app for the Android Market place. I was looking around Google Play and I noticed quite a few apps that provide various ways to spy on other people. Sometimes they are called "phone locator" or "tracker" or sometimes just "spy".

This sounds like fun but I was wondering if app developers ever get sued when someone, for instance, is killed by a stalker who was using one of these apps to follow them.

Has this ever happened?

I also wonder if having all of that hold harmless, do not misuse this product, jargon protects them in any way.

Thanks,
Tina
Sorry, this forum is for US law only.

quincy

For some reason there always seems to be that "for entertainment only" or a similar disclaimer.
Disclaimers will not and cannot prevent a lawsuit. The most a disclaimer can do is work to mitigate damages in the event of a suit.

At least, that is how it is in the U.S.

Tina did not provide her state name or, if not in the U.S., the name of her country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">