• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A client knocked over my scooter, I want them to pay for repairs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krillz

Hello, I live in Florida and I have a question about who is liable to pay for damages from my Vespa scooter that was knocked over. My girlfriend does face-painting at parties and she had put the scooter up against the client's garage. When the owner opened up their garage, the door knocked over her scooter and now there is considerable body damage and a kickstand that must be replaced. Could she get it repaired then file something in small claims court?
The reason I'm not sure about following through with that is because SHE left the scooter without enough clearance for the door. (i assume it swings out or something.) but i'm also not sure what he is liable for since it was his property.

She is very distraught, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

LdiJ

Hello, I live in Florida and I have a question about who is liable to pay for damages from my Vespa scooter that was knocked over. My girlfriend does face-painting at parties and she had put the scooter up against the client's garage. When the owner opened up their garage, the door knocked over her scooter and now there is considerable body damage and a kickstand that must be replaced. Could she get it repaired then file something in small claims court?
The reason I'm not sure about following through with that is because SHE left the scooter without enough clearance for the door. (i assume it swings out or something.) but i'm also not sure what he is liable for since it was his property.

She is very distraught, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
You already answered your own question. She left the scooter without enough clearance for the door. Its not the homeowner's fault at all.

justalayman

If there is damage to the garage door, she might even expect a claim for payment of those damages from her.

very distraught ??? Very?? get a new GF if she gets this way over a vespa scooter. Heaven help you if you do something to piss her off.

swalsh411

Distraught is for when the bank may foreclose and put your family on the street. Distraught is for when the doctor tells you the cancer is back. Distraught is for when you receive a folded flag.

Distraught is not for damage to a scooter.

justalayman

You might want to re-read that, he owns the scooter. The real surprise is that he has a girlfriend.
I'm glad you brought that up.

Hello, I live in Florida and I have a question about who is liable to pay for damages from my Vespa scooter that was knocked over. My girlfriend does face-painting at parties and she had put the scooter up against the client's garage. When the owner opened up their garage, the door knocked over her scooter and now there is considerable body damage and a kickstand that must be replaced
OP can sue his girlfriend for the damages. It was her duty to return it to OP is the same condition, minus ordinary wear and tear, as she borrowed it in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">