• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

computer accident am i totally responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Casey Dale

What is the name of your state? MD

I dont konw if this is the right forum, but this was the closest topic to my problem.
I recently visited a friend's apartment, moved a chair to sit and as i placed the chair on the floor, the leg crashed into a laptop computer sitting in an unlikely place on the floor. Another friend had moved the computer on the floor (this is a small apartment - not much moving room). Laptop shouldn't be sitting on floor if valuable, waiting to be kicked or damaged. I feel reasonable care and diligence was not used in safeguarding computer andl friend who placed on floor should be partly responsible? Perhaps i should have inspected the area before moving the chair, but this is not something unusual - moving a chair. If i use a stovetop, i dont think to lift the grates and inspect under the cooktop for explosives, matches, etc.

I want to do the right thing, but feel blame should be shared. Interested in your opinion. Want to add that the friend who placed the laptop on the floor is not the owner of the laptop, but she is a good freind, I frequent her apartment, have had dinner there and i feel awkward asking her to help pay/split cost for the new computer,but at same time, i dont feel i should be totally responsible and pay 100%. SHould i approach her for half or a percentage of the total amount? I plan to send the owner of the laptop half the amount soon as evidence of good faith in the next week. My summer job will help pay the balance, if need be, at end of summer. I am really interested in your opinion - want to do the right thing by my friend and need some insight if I should be totally responsible. Thanks to all!What is the name of your state?

Casey Dale

What is the name of your state? MD

Okay, get your point. So no contributory negligence on the part of the friend who moved the laptop off the desk onto the floor?? So you do not feel they contributed to cause the damage they incurred as a result of my placing the chair on the floor??

Not trying to be combative, just want clarity -- this is why i am posting on this forum. Thank you for your response.What is the name of your state? MD, as indicated above.

ecmst12

I don't think putting the laptop on the floor was negligent. You failing to SEE the laptop on the floor, and damaging it with your chair, was negligent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">