• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could this be considered wrongful death?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueangelmxl

An 88 year old person complaining with chest pain needed to be transported 15 miles to the nearest hospital. While being transported, the ambulance stopped due to a mechanical failure. Patient's condition got worse while waiting for a second ambulance to arrive. 58 minutes later when the patient arrived to the hospital he was pronounced dead.

The same model of the ambulance that broke down was recently issued a recall from the manufacturer to fix a problem that causes the vehicle to shut down.

Could this be considered a case for wrongful death?

Thanks in advance for your response.

justalayman

since wrongful death is a death caused by a negligent act of another, either intentionally or unintentionally, who do you believe may be guilty of causing a wrongful death and why?

(sometimes school work is better answered by the student actually attempting to answer the question rather than somebody just giving them the answer)

Last edited:

An 88 year old person complaining with chest pain needed to be transported 15 miles to the nearest hospital. While being transported, the ambulance stopped due to a mechanical failure. Patient's condition got worse while waiting for a second ambulance to arrive. 58 minutes later when the patient arrived to the hospital he was pronounced dead.

The same model of the ambulance that broke down was recently issued a recall from the manufacturer to fix a problem that causes the vehicle to shut down.

Could this be considered a case for wrongful death?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Proximate cause would likely be an issue. Speak with an attorney.

blueangelmxl

The medical care crucial to address a critical health condition was delayed by a mechanical breakdown. 58 minutes to travel 15 miles at night with no traffic seems to me unacceptable. After this incident, this model of ambulance was recalled by the manufacturer to fix a problem that causes the vehicle to shut down.

Proserpina

The medical care crucial to address a critical health condition was delayed by a mechanical breakdown. 58 minutes to travel 15 miles at night with no traffic seems to me unacceptable. After this incident, this model of ambulance was recalled by the manufacturer to fix a problem that causes the vehicle to shut down.

What exactly was the diagnosis before the ambulance got there?

The patient is 88, yes?

(There is a reason why I'm asking)

justalayman

blueangelmxl;3223479]The medical care crucial to address a critical health condition was delayed by a mechanical breakdown. 58 minutes to travel 15 miles at night with no traffic seems to me unacceptable.After this incident, this model of ambulance was recalled by the manufacturer to fix a problem that causes the vehicle to shut down.
but who are you suggesting is negligent?

blueangelmxl

Yes, patient was 88 years old
Diagnosis as per EMS report: Possible myoradial infarction. Upon arrival patient was sitting upright, alert , awake and oriented, speech was coherent.

The vehicle is a 2012 Ford F-350 SuperDuty

blueangelmxl

but who are you suggesting is negligent?
The ambulance crew requested a second ambulance from their base location instead of the hospital which was closer to the site where the vehicle broke down. I see at least two issues one making the wrong decision when the second ambulance was requested, and the mechanical issue or glitch that caused an emergency vehicle to shut down

blueangelmxl

The ambulance is owned and operated by the local Fire Department
This is what the recall says:

The problem: the recall affects Super Duty trucks with the 6.7 liter Power Stroke diesel V8 that contains a faulty exhaust gas temperature sensor. The defective sensor can cause the engines to stop and not allow them to be restarted for at least an hour. Ford acknowledges that the problem is not exclusive to ambulance-guise Super Dutys, but is not recalling non-ambulance vehicles. Drivers of non-ambulance vehicles will get a warning and enough time to safely pull off the road before the engine shuts down.

I saw the warning light that came on and there was barely enough time to pull over then the unit shut down.

quincy

This is what the recall says:

The problem: the recall affects Super Duty trucks with the 6.7 liter Power Stroke diesel V8 that contains a faulty exhaust gas temperature sensor. The defective sensor can cause the engines to stop and not allow them to be restarted for at least an hour. Ford acknowledges that the problem is not exclusive to ambulance-guise Super Dutys, but is not recalling non-ambulance vehicles. Drivers of non-ambulance vehicles will get a warning and enough time to safely pull off the road before the engine shuts down.

I saw the warning light that came on and there was barely enough time to pull over then the unit shut down.
blueangel, were you part of the ambulance crew or were you with the 88-year-old (a relative?) or are you with the Fire Department that owns the ambulance?

Ford has said that there have been no reports of harm to patients caused by ambulance break-downs but, if you are questioning Ford's possible liability in the death of the elderly person, you should review all facts with an attorney in your area of California. There are attorneys who specialize in injuries and/or deaths resulting from defective products that are subject of recalls.

Be warned that investigating patient death liability is not an inexpensive venture.

As a note: only 3,100 of the Ford F-Series (F-350, F-450, F-550) Super Duty ambulances are being recalled (from the years 2011 and 2012) and not all of these recalled vehicles were sold in the U.S.

Last edited:

blueangelmxl

blueangel, were you part of the ambulance crew or were you with the 88-year-old (a relative?) or are you with the Fire Department that owns the ambulance?

Ford has said that there have been no reports of harm to patients caused by ambulance break-downs but, if you are questioning Ford's possible liability in the death of the elderly person, you should review all facts with an attorney in your area of California. There are attorneys who specialize in injuries and/or deaths resulting from defective products that are subject of recalls.

Be warned that investigating patient death liability is not an inexpensive venture.

As a note: only 3,100 of the Ford F-Series (F-350, F-450, F-550) Super Duty ambulances are being recalled (from the years 2011 and 2012) and not all of these recalled vehicles were sold in the U.S.
I was related to the patient
I will follow your recommendation

Thanks Quincy

quincy

I am sorry for the loss of your relative, blueangel.

Time is often critical when it comes to getting medical care for patients suffering with chest pains. Whether your relative would have survived had there not been the 58 minute delay in transporting her/him to the hospital is a question mark. But I think it is something worth investigating.

Good luck and, again, my sympathy.

justalayman

blueangelmxl

my apologies for being rude and insensitive. Your question sounded a lot like a homework question and that is why my response as it was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">