• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At a Crewhouse(hostel) and the roof collapses on me...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejejansen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Im In Ft. Lauderdale, florida.
So basically what happened is im in a crew house which is like a hostel but nicer, its for people who work on yachts, when they are not working or looking for a job they stay at these houses till they get a permanent job on a yacht. Basically we has a leak in the roof a couple days ago because its been super stormy in south florida the last couple days , huge down poors. I told the owner of the crew house the roof was leaking the day prior before the incident. Last night i hear a huge bang infront of my bed the roof collapsed infront of my bed resulting in alot of stuff getting covered in dirty water and debris from the roof. as i went to clean up my stuff a peice of the ceiling came down and hit me directly on the head. There is no signs of damage to my head but it did hurt alot after it struck me. So now im wondering if theres anything i can do, is it worth getting a lawyer for this incident? Please get me on some advice in what i should do? Thanks.
-Emil jansenWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

• There is no signs of damage to my head
  • is it worth getting a lawyer for this incident?
It's probably not worth a lawyer. Any damages for 'pain and suffering' are normally calculated based on actual medical expenses. Since your medical expenses are zero, pain and suffering would be zero times some multiple, still leaving zero.

Hopefully, your 'stuff' will be covered by the owner's insurance.

ejejansen

Well i was injured, a piece of the ceiling hit me in the head. As for my stuff nothing got too damaged just stained clothing and luggage with dirty water. I would like to sue because i pay to have a decent place to rest my head, now I have a huge hole in the ceiling and a headache from the blow to the head.

OHRoadwarrior

You can sue for the cost to clean the clothing and luggage. If it was not cleanable, you can sue for the diminished value of them. If you took an aspirin, for the headache, you can sue for the cost of the aspirin taken. Many states allow you to sue for 3 times the cost of medical, so you can sue for 3 more aspirin for pain and suffering.

ejejansen

Its funny i thought you could sue for almost anything now-a-days. It seems like this would have been a viable situation, guess not. No sense in sueing for 3 asprins. I basically just wanted some advice if it would be worth while. Thanks for in insight.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Its funny i thought you could sue for almost anything now-a-days. It seems like this would have been a viable situation, guess not. No sense in sueing for 3 asprins. I basically just wanted some advice if it would be worth while. Thanks for in insight.
You can SUE for anything. Winning is another matter altogether ;)

ecmst12

You can certainly ask for a refund for the days that you were not able to "rest your head" due to the incident.

FarmerJ

yup as ECMST said any days of pre paid rent you had but are not able to use now you are entitled to be refunded so if you paid say by the week and roof crashed on day 3 your able to ask for partial refund of the week you paid for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">