• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage due to Negligence of the university

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mebidur

Ontario, Canada

Hi I am an international student. I applied to the University Of Windsor for admission to their Masters program. On July 1, they sent me a offer letter with funding information enough to cover my tuition.

This was a great opportunity for me, so, I started preparing for the student visa application. I hurried because I had very little time to prepare everything. I resigned from my job, paid the bank to get some loan processed to cover the remaining expenses, paid to get appointment for medical test.

Now, after 4 days of the initial offer, they sent me an email stating that the initial offer I got was due to an error, and it was incorrect. They sent me another offer with no financial aid.

This has caused a lot of emotional damage to me and my family. I can't afford their program without funding, and the incorrect information they sent me caused damage to my career, loss of money, and most importantly a lot of psychological torture to me and my family.

Can I sue the university under the tort law or any other Canadian law. I have paid their application fee so that my application gets properly processed. So, can I claim the compensation for the damage done due to their negligence? Also, I am currently out of Canada and am not a Canadian either, so, is it possible to sue them from abroad?

FlyingRon

The US still hasn't annexed Canada. This is US law forum only.

Even under Canadian law you're not getting damages for this. There are two essential elements: one that the injury was a foreseeable part of actual negligence (doubtful in this case) and that there is an actual recognizable psychoogical injury (not at all present here). Just because it was upsetting to you, doesn't make it actionable even if the university did it intentionally and with malice aforethought.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
a) As previously observed, Canada is not part of the US. There are no plans for this to change.

b) This is not unheard of, not even in the US. You can complain, you can be miffed, but you have no case. Most people apply to more than one graduate program.

c) Since you are not Canadian, it would be more prudent to obtain a study permit before quitting your job. I doubt that this can be accomplished in under 4 days, and does require that you know where you're studying and have proof that you have the finances to cover your tuition and living expenses. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp

LdiJ

a) As previously observed, Canada is not part of the US. There are no plans for this to change.

b) This is not unheard of, not even in the US. You can complain, you can be miffed, but you have no case. Most people apply to more than one graduate program.

c) Since you are not Canadian, it would be more prudent to obtain a study permit before quitting your job. I doubt that this can be accomplished in under 4 days, and does require that you know where you're studying and have proof that you have the finances to cover your tuition and living expenses. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp
There are a lot of people, including a lot of Europeans, who see the US and Canada as all the same. I encountered that all the time when I was in and out of Italy. Eventually I just gave up trying to explain the difference. The same people think that the countries in Central America and the countries in South America are all pretty much the same too.

FlyingRon

Again, despite the fact that this is a US forum, I answered in the terms of Canadian law. Not a prayer of getting money for this.

Silverplum

It's hard to hold onto a national identity when you're constantly confused with the 800 pound gorilla to the south ;)
I must be isolated: I've never met/talked with someone who didn't know that Canada is her own girl. How rude and silly!

(I've met people who don't know the difference between Catholics and Protestants, or that a distinction exists. I've met Lutherans who didn't know anything at all about M Luther: I always marvel at that. :eek:)

quincy

I must be isolated: I've never met/talked with someone who didn't know that Canada is her own girl. How rude and silly!

(I've met people who don't know the difference between Catholics and Protestants, or that a distinction exists. I've met Lutherans who didn't know anything at all about M Luther: I always marvel at that. :eek:)
I have never heard of the US and Canada being thought of as one, either. How very strange.

Perhaps we travel with and among a more educated crowd, Silverplum. :)

(this post is primarily to bump spam off the main board)

LdiJ

I have never heard of the US and Canada being thought of as one, either. How very strange.

Perhaps we travel with and among a more educated crowd, Silverplum. :)

(this post is primarily to bump spam off the main board)
I have never noticed it here in the US. Where I noticed it a lot was in Italy and other places in Europe.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not so much that they're thought of as one country - it's more the assumption that there is no difference culturally or legally or monetarily; that however it works in the US must also be the exact same way it works in Canada.

Ain't true. Two distinct cultures. But try and get the average American to see that. (Naturally, you all are above average! :D)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">