• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I do wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bsuriel3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Basically I've been dating my girlfriend for 1 year and a half already. We are really close but the parents are constantly getting in our way wanting to know everything about us and even control me for me what to do or not to do. Ive handled this for one year and a half now during that time there has been arguments the parents coming to my house unannounced screaming at me. Just drama and stuff but we end up being okay in a month or so. So basically I spoke to my girlfriend multiple times about how her parents to talk me treat me and talk bad about me to others when I've been very nice to them.. I decided to go to her house I knocked on the door the dad opens the door and I said I said hey we need to talk I've noticed the dad had alcohol to drink but anyway I told him how I felt and he got mad and sucker punched me so I got mad and I got defensive and backed up and said are you serious your going to hit me. My girlfriend and her parents live in a condominium basically a lot of people hear us so he left the door opens and goes inside. In my mind I'm saying what going on so I backed up like 10 steps I'm about like 15 away from his door and he pulls out a chef knife had to be about 14 inches and he says charging at me I back up even more and he followed me to the other side of condo his wife comes out try's to find out what goes on I explain the dad leaves I tell the wife I'm gonna go I can't deal with this she tells me to wait what's going on I explain the dad comes back pulls the wife I told the dad how you gonna pull your wife like that he got mad and took out the knife and my girlfriend was infront of me I put her behind me and then the dad lunges at me missed but then punches my face I imiediately attempt to grab him and basically I'm trying to defend myself so we are fighting basically about 60 Feet or even more from his house by a staircase and he leaves after I tried to get him off me by pushing him down the stairs. He disappears cops come I go down stairs I explain to the cops I wasn't resisting they searched me then they say detain him I was like what! But didn't resist I told them do what you have to do but I didn't attack him. I was in the back seat for 45 mins not knowing what's going on basically cops came said he didn't press charges and that there wasn't a knife involved and I'm trespassing. So later on that night my girlfriend calls me to tell me that her parents threatened to kill her if she was to tell the cops about the knife oh and she told me the dad ran to the house washed the knife and put it in the dishwasher. Basically my girlfriend told the cops everything that happens and the cops told my girlfriend to shut up and how can she go against her parents just for me . She replied saying I'm just doing what's right . Cops informed her the dad switched up the story I have a big bump on my head scratches swollen hands and my lip hurts and all that dad has is a scratch by his eye and his face is swollen like come on how is this right what should I do they were so many residents outside

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Basically I've been dating my girlfriend for 1 year and a half already. We are really close but the parents are constantly getting in our way wanting to know everything about us and even control me for me what to do or not to do. Ive handled this for one year and a half now during that time there has been arguments the parents coming to my house unannounced screaming at me. Just drama and stuff but we end up being okay in a month or so. So basically I spoke to my girlfriend multiple times about how her parents to talk me treat me and talk bad about me to others when I've been very nice to them.. I decided to go to her house I knocked on the door the dad opens the door and I said I said hey we need to talk I've noticed the dad had alcohol to drink but anyway I told him how I felt and he got mad and sucker punched me so I got mad and I got defensive and backed up and said are you serious your going to hit me. My girlfriend and her parents live in a condominium basically a lot of people hear us so he left the door opens and goes inside. In my mind I'm saying what going on so I backed up like 10 steps I'm about like 15 away from his door and he pulls out a chef knife had to be about 14 inches and he says charging at me I back up even more and he followed me to the other side of condo his wife comes out try's to find out what goes on I explain the dad leaves I tell the wife I'm gonna go I can't deal with this she tells me to wait what's going on I explain the dad comes back pulls the wife I told the dad how you gonna pull your wife like that he got mad and took out the knife and my girlfriend was infront of me I put her behind me and then the dad lunges at me missed but then punches my face I imiediately attempt to grab him and basically I'm trying to defend myself so we are fighting basically about 60 Feet or even more from his house by a staircase and he leaves after I tried to get him off me by pushing him down the stairs. He disappears cops come I go down stairs I explain to the cops I wasn't resisting they searched me then they say detain him I was like what! But didn't resist I told them do what you have to do but I didn't attack him. I was in the back seat for 45 mins not knowing what's going on basically cops came said he didn't press charges and that there wasn't a knife involved and I'm trespassing. So later on that night my girlfriend calls me to tell me that her parents threatened to kill her if she was to tell the cops about the knife oh and she told me the dad ran to the house washed the knife and put it in the dishwasher. Basically my girlfriend told the cops everything that happens and the cops told my girlfriend to shut up and how can she go against her parents just for me . She replied saying I'm just doing what's right . Cops informed her the dad switched up the story I have a big bump on my head scratches swollen hands and my lip hurts and all that dad has is a scratch by his eye and his face is swollen like come on how is this right what should I do they were so many residents outside
If you've been charged with a crime you need a defense attorney immediately.

If you haven't been charged with a crime, what is your legal question?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes. You did wrong.

The moment he sucker punched you would have been a good time to leave and file a complaint.

But, I get that you didn't want to overreact.

The moment you saw the knife you should have called the police and attempted to leave the situation.

commentator

Your question is "did I do something wrong?" But oh yeah, you're not so young you don't know the answer to that. But the whole rest of the post is a cross between getting my story straight and self justification that only a fairly young person could possibly do and find impressive. If this goes further you desperately need to get an attorney to represent you, because anything you say will only get you into further trouble.

Your girlfriend is young. She still lives with her parents as a matter of course. So oh my yes, they have a right to be on your case, say all manner of things against you, discourage her from seeing you. If she is under the legal age of consent, they could do even more. But she is taking support and room and board from them. Therefore, they can certainly express their opinions about the person she is seeing.

You basically had no right and no business going to their place to talk to them about how bad they are treating YOU and how you have a right to see their daughter, your girlfriend and be "bad talk free." Basically, (drunk or sober--which is my first thoughtful question about this on your part,) you went over there to make a scene. Very bad move. Whether you were drunk or sober, whether the father was drinking alcohol or not, you went to his house.

When you have attacked someone at their own home you have run them as far back as they can go, and they are much more justified in protecting themselves, or saying they "felt threatened" than if they'd come to your house or saw you on the street. You brought the fight to them, at their place of residence. Its not your girlfriend's house. It's her parents house. And there you were on their step threatening them, trying to have a "come to Jesus" with them about how they're treating you.

Now because you did not back away immediately when that "sucker punch" was thrown (you were surprised?) nobody gives a hoot who threw the first punch or who said what or who backed away or I said this and he said that. You came to their house to make a scene. The police were called. The parents told them they felt threatened. You started this. They put YOU in the car. You appeared to be the aggressor. So what? You were. Quote: "I got him off of me by pushing him down the stairs."

You are terribly lucky if he does not press charges. You are also very lucky that he did not come to the door with a loaded gun.

If your girlfriend's parents are threatening to kill her, she needs to move out (providing she's old enough) and become self supporting. If she elects not to do that, then she's in no position to demand that her friends be treated with love and respect when they come over to tell off daddy and mom. Her testimony wouldn't be of much weight anyhow, as the courts have certainly seen Romeo and Juliet scenes before.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">