• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chelale

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I've been unemployed for four years, I've applied to countless jobs and no dice. Last December I fell on a crack in the sidewalk and injured my right shoulder. I tried to apply for disability, but because I have had no income, I was denied. Is there another way to apply and get disability?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I've been unemployed for four years, I've applied to countless jobs and no dice. Last December I fell on a crack in the sidewalk and injured my right shoulder. I tried to apply for disability, but because I have had no income, I was denied. Is there another way to apply and get disability?
Not through the state disability system.

tranquility

SDI is meant to help with living expenses when you are disabled. Federal disability will not pay for a temporary disability. SDI amount is based on the wages you lose, since you have no wages, it will not pay.

How have you been supporting yourself? I assume nothing has changed there because you are temporarily disabled.

tranquility

If he's disabled, he can still get SSI if he qualifies medically, even though he has no credits to draw SSDI.
IF he is "disabled". In that he cannot do substantial gainful activity that is expected to last for 12 months.

As I wrote:
Federal disability will not pay for a temporary disability.
True, falling on a crack and injuring one's right shoulder may be more than a "temporary" disability. (Those rotator cuff issues can be stubborn.) But, the OP is not going to get a doctor or a SSI worker to accept that at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">