• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Bite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Slneu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

My 17 year old daughter suffered a dog bite in the calf of her right leg from a large boxer that had previously biten another child. The bite required a visit to our local ER, the bite pierced a muscle. She required a staple to close the wound and antibotics to prevent the muscle from becoming infected. She has several smaller puncture wounds. My daughter was walking on the opposite side of the street, when the dog came out of his yard and attacked her. The local authories were advised as well as the dog warden.

How do I proceed to insure the medical bills are paid? Do I need an attorney? We have health insurance but I'm not sure they will cover someone else's dog biting her. We live in Ohio.

xylene

Here is why-

You totally need to contact a personal injury lawyer.

1. Your daughter was severely injured.

2. She was injured by an animal of a bad breed, with a 'strike'.

Your daughter deserves compensation for her sure to be extensive medical care, as well as her pain and scarring.

CJane

Xylene is apparently psychic... otherwise, how could she know that there was a severe injury or permanent scarring?

You DID say ONE staple to close the injury, did you not?
And that the antibiotics were prophylactic?

Why wouldn't your medical insurance cover the trip to the ER? That is what health insurance is FOR.

You are most certainly entitled to be compensated for any out of pocket expenses you suffer due to the dog bite. And if there IS permanent disfigurement (not just normal scarring that isn't terribly noticeable) then your child deserves to be compensated for that as well.

This is not, however, the personal injury lottery win.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ditto, Cjane... xylene tends to be a bit rabid at times.

I also do not understand why you think the ER trip wouldn't be covered by your/her insurance.

CSO286

I would expect the ER trip to be covered by the dog owner's insurance.

A consult with a personal injury attorney would not be a bad idea.

Of course, you could also talk to the the dog's owners and see if they will cover the expenses without involving attorneys.

xylene

Rabid is frothing - calling a lawyer to protect your family is sane.

A dog bite with muscle involvement is a serious injury.

Y'all expect people to shake off big time wounds from other peoples canine negligence kind of easily...

Almost like you were never bitten by some POS dog that should have been humanely euthanized after the the first time it got loose and bit an innocent. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Nope, should be covered under their homeowner's or renter's policy.....
Yes - only point I think is being made about the health insurance is there is not reason for them NOT to cover it. Sure, they will seek compensation from the other party, but they WILL cover the ER visit up front.

CSO286

Yes - only point I think is being made about the health insurance is there is not reason for them NOT to cover it. Sure, they will seek compensation from the other party, but they WILL cover the ER visit up front.
I agree with you completely.

OP, your health insurance will see that the claim is paid, but they will most likely attempt to recoup their money from the dog's owners.

In addition, you have the right to seek add'l civil damages from the dog's owners, if you can find a personal injury attorney to take the case. (Not saying you will be successfull, but you can try......)

Handcoc

Where was you kid bitten, at their house, yard, is yard fenced. Was you kid on their property w/o permission?

All of these things come into play.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">