• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlferg

Michigan
I was bit by my neighbors Bullmastiff when mowing my lawn. It's so large it just leaned over my 4' high fence and bit me on the shoulder. The bite is not real deep but plan on getting it treated tomorrow to play it safe. How can I get the owner to pay for the medical bills, they seem to think it's no big deal and think I should have to tell them when I mow the lawn so they can put their dog in.

What about a fence, shouldn't they be required to get a proper fence(height) to restrain their dog properly.

What about the existing fence thats mine, can I take it down since it seems ridiculous that my fence is being used to try to restrain a dog i don't want around anymore? Would taking it down force the issue for them to get a proper fence?

Tom

justalayman

yes, they are obligated to restrain their dog. Since the dog trespassed onto your property, the owners would be liable for any injury their dog caused under almost all circumstances.

To get the neighbor to pay for the damages; send them a bill. If they refuse to pay, consider suing them.

as to removing the fence; yes, you can but if you are aware the fence normally is used to constrain the dog, you would need to give the neighbor notice of your intent to remove the fence. Once you do that, the neighbor is obligated to find a means to restrain their own dog.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How serious a bite is it if treatment can wait 'til tomorrow? And, given that you posted in the wee hours of the morning, when it is unlikely you were mowing the lawn, I'm figuring you were actually bitten yesterday. So I don't see this as being a terribly grievous injury. Put some peroxide and neosporin on it and call it good.

Drama.

tlferg

How serious a bite is it if treatment can wait 'til tomorrow? And, given that you posted in the wee hours of the morning, when it is unlikely you were mowing the lawn, I'm figuring you were actually bitten yesterday. So I don't see this as being a terribly grievous injury. Put some peroxide and neosporin on it and call it good.

Drama.
I was not going to get it treated initially, and my reasoning was flawed. I should not have "any" increased risk to my health because of their dumb dog.
My brothers friend who is a physicians surgical assistant saw the bite photo I sent my brother and said I should get treated because of the bite location is close to the heart. You have up to 72 hours to get a tetanus shot after a dog bite so I can wait and not incur ER costs to my neighbor.

Last edited:

tlferg

Link to bite photo
img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/tgferg67/dogbite720_5-28-2011001.jpg

Last edited:
W

Willlyjo

Drama.
All of your posts spike of drama! The OP still should have a tetanous shot to prevent serious consequences. Your losing altitude here ha ha.

CJane

Link to bite photo
img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/tgferg67/dogbite720_5-28-2011001.jpg
That's a bite from a mastiff?

What. Ever.

I HAVE a mastiff. And not only are they characteristically the exact opposite of aggressive, they have ENORMOUS mouths. My Mastiff can (and sometimes does) fit my 14 year old's entire head in his mouth.

You're going to have a really hard time convincing anyone that's a dog bite. Let alone that it came from a dog the size of the average Mastiff.

Not saying it ISN'T or that it DIDN'T, but you don't appear to have received ANY lasting injury at are, doesn't look like there will be any obvious scarring, etc.

Sure, get a tetanus shot. They're usually free at the county health department. Maybe $10.

It's a bit interesting though that you'd take the fence down, knowing that would allow this 'dangerous' and 'aggressive' dog who 'attacked' and 'bit' you free reign to your property.

tlferg

What. Ever.

I HAVE a mastiff. And not only are they characteristically the exact opposite of aggressive, they have ENORMOUS mouths. My Mastiff can (and sometimes does) fit my 14 year old's entire head in his mouth.

You're going to have a really hard time convincing anyone that's a dog bite. Let alone that it came from a dog the size of the average Mastiff.

Not saying it ISN'T or that it DIDN'T, but you don't appear to have received ANY lasting injury at are, doesn't look like there will be any obvious scarring, etc.

Sure, get a tetanus shot. They're usually free at the county health department. Maybe $10.

It's a bit interesting though that you'd take the fence down, knowing that would allow this 'dangerous' and 'aggressive' dog who 'attacked' and 'bit' you free reign to your property.
It bled it's a bite, stop making excuses because you're a dog owner. If you read the above post, the location of the bite being close to the heart could be dangerous if there were to be an infection. I was told this by a physicians surgical assistant who worked in ER years prior. He told me to get it treated. You seem to think it's "ok" to increase others to health problems if one wants to own a dog. I was on my property mowing the lawn, I did nothing wrong and was bit. I'm 6' tall on the bite was on my shoulder while standing up mowing the lawn - thats not consistant with even a medium size dog.

I didn't come here to try to use the legal system as a lottery, but I wanted to see if any medical costs could get reimbursed. I do feel if they do not contain the dog properly in the future knowing it bites and not allowing me to use every square inch of my property I will do whatever I can legally.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So how did it go? I mean, since you're now so concerned, you rushed right over for treatment, right?

ETA: Yes, it is reasonable to expect that the neighbor will pay for the exam. Why do you need a tetanus shot?

tlferg

ehow.com/about_5068306_signs-dog-bite-infection.html

In almost 100 percent of dog bites, harmful bacteria and other dangerous pathogens are present and can be transmitted to the bite wound

Of all dog bites, 15 to 20 percent will become infected

More advanced or severe signs of a dog bite(infection) include meningitis, a brain abscess and even a heart infection.

Serious and deadly infections, such as tetanus, can be transmitted through a dog bite wound.

Harmful microorganisms can grow inside a dog bite wound and subsequently cause life-threatening infections. Dog bites that become infected are very serious and can result in limb amputation.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ehow.com/about_5068306_signs-dog-bite-infection.html

Of all dog bites, 15 to 20 percent will become infected

More advanced or severe signs of a dog bite(infection) include meningitis, a brain abscess and even a heart infection.

Serious and deadly infections, such as tetanus, can be transmitted through a dog bite wound.

Harmful microorganisms can grow inside a dog bite wound and subsequently cause life-threatening infections. Dog bites that become infected are very serious and can result in limb amputation.
Oh brother :rolleyes:

Go get checked out - if your haven't had a tetanus shot in the last 5/10 years, then get another one.

The dogbite itself doesn't spread tetanus...it's what gets in the wound afterwards. As for the rest...oh brother :rolleyes:

CJane

It bled it's a bite, stop making excuses because you're a dog owner.
I'm not making excuses. And certainly not because I'm a dog owner. My dogs are contained by a 4' wire fence with a strand of electric around the inside to keep them from jumping on the fence - and the @holes next door from sticking their hands over the fence to "say hi".

If you read the above post, the location of the bite being close to the heart could be dangerous if there were to be an infection. I was told this by a physicians surgical assistant who worked in ER years prior. He told me to get it treated.
Right. And instead, you decided to spend a couple days on the interwebs making sure that you could get your "costs" covered. THAT'S how worried you are.

You seem to think it's "ok" to increase others to health problems if one wants to own a dog. I was on my property mowing the lawn, I did nothing wrong and was bit. I'm 6' tall on the bite was on my shoulder while standing up mowing the lawn - thats not consistant with even a medium size dog.
Yeah, wasn't implying that you mistook a chihuahua for a mastiff. Only that if a mastiff really BIT you (as opposed to a grab which is a form of protection/play and more consistent with mastiff behavior) you'd have more than what looks like a minor scratch.

So I guess I'm "making excuses" because you strike me as the type of guy who in the future will do everything he can to antagonize that dog and the neighbors just because you "can".

Ozark_Sophist

What. Ever.

In Missouri, a dog bite doesn't have even have to break the skin to be legally classified as a "dog bite" according to case law.

The dog should be reported and placed in a ten-day quarantine. Is the dog current on rabies vaccination? Demand to see a veternarians certificate.

My neighbors dog jumped through out window and bite me. There was little skin damage but I had massive brusing and muscle damage. The dog had never had a rabies vaccination and had to be destroyed due to neglect injuries sustained prior to the incident. The ER doctors ordered the series of rabies vaccinations (5 @ $900 each, plus antibiotics, ER charges, etc.). I settled with neighbors insurance company for five figures (hx of the dog's behavior, neighbors neglect, etc., as contributing factors for settlement).

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm with CJane. A bite like that? Peroxide & neosporin would have been my course of action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">