• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Bite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johns123

Hello,
I'm from N.J.
On July 4th of this year I was bitten on the arm by my neighbors dog. It happened as we both stopped to talk by a park, it was unprovoked and totally unexpected. The dog is a huge Turkish mountain dog, think something as big as a Great Dane but heavier. It was incredibly painful. They took me to the Hospital for treatment and filled out the paperwork as proof of their ownership of the dog.
A few weeks later as I was feeling a bit better I let them know that I was going to get some physical therapy, and he agreed to pay all the costs.
The muscle problems I'm having are not totally going away, they re-cur, and I'm thinking I might have to deal with this problem for years to come.
Should I be thinking of suing for monies that could help if this becomes something I have to live with from now on ?
It was on my right elbow, and for work I do carpentry, and on the side I play guitar, and I'm right handed.
It has limited my flexibility, and sometimes it just hurts.

Thanks for any feedback,
John

Antigone*

Hello,
I'm from N.J.
On July 4th of this year I was bitten on the arm by my neighbors dog. It happened as we both stopped to talk by a park, it was unprovoked and totally unexpected. The dog is a huge Turkish mountain dog, think something as big as a Great Dane but heavier. It was incredibly painful. They took me to the Hospital for treatment and filled out the paperwork as proof of their ownership of the dog.
A few weeks later as I was feeling a bit better I let them know that I was going to get some physical therapy, and he agreed to pay all the costs.
The muscle problems I'm having are not totally going away, they re-cur, and I'm thinking I might have to deal with this problem for years to come.
Should I be thinking of suing for monies that could help if this becomes something I have to live with from now on ?
It was on my right elbow, and for work I do carpentry, and on the side I play guitar, and I'm right handed.

Thanks for any feedback,
John
Sure, you could be thinking of suing. Contact a local personal injury attorney in your area, give them the specifics of your case and see what happens.

I don't see this as you winning the lottery, though.

W

Willlyjo

Hello,
I'm from N.J.

Thanks for any feedback,
John
You should be asking an attorney these questions!

johns123

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
My physical therapist thought that it could be possible that I might have some problems with it for a while, I'm 60, and we just don't seem to heal as well as when we're young.
I'm not trying to hit the lottery, but its his dog that has caused all these problems for me.
And physical therapy isn't cheap either.

Thanks
John

johns123

Thanks for the feedback.
That gives me time to see what the healing process will be like.
I'm sure he'll pay as we go.

Thanks again.
John

ecmst12

Not the physical therapist. What did your DOCTOR say about your prognosis? (And if you haven't seen one, that's a hint.)

LdiJ

Not the physical therapist. What did your DOCTOR say about your prognosis? (And if you haven't seen one, that's a hint.)
Generally it takes a doctor to make a referral to a physical therapist...so there has to be one involved. However, if he hasn't seen the doctor recently, it would be a good idea to do so now.

CJane

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
My physical therapist thought that it could be possible that I might have some problems with it for a while, I'm 60, and we just don't seem to heal as well as when we're young.
I'm not trying to hit the lottery, but its his dog that has caused all these problems for me.
And physical therapy isn't cheap either.

Thanks
John

The phrasing you've used in another post is a little weird too. You said "It was feeling better, so I told the neighbor I was going to go to some physical therapy"... did a physician refer you to physical therapy? Or did you decide you needed it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">