• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bite on the face

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fantality

hey everyone,

I moved into my current location about 3 weeks ago. It is a basement apartment with the owners living upstairs. I have my own kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom, laundry and entrance. It is a small farm house. They have chickens, roosters, dogs, cats, goats and sheep. They also have vegetables and fruits growing in the yard with their own personal solar panels tucked away in the far corner of their garden.

Today I was playing with their little daughter out in the yard just a few feet away from the doors. The dog must have either felt threatened for the daughter and became defensive or maybe she just got too excited. She went for my hands a couple times very lightly. I felt like she was playing around and just said No each time she did that. And then when I bent over to pick up something from the ground, she went for my face.

There are three cuts on my face. The big one by my left sideburn which is an inch and a half long, .5 centimeters wide and anywhere from .1 to .3 centimeters deep. The other two cuts are right next to my nose to the left side and right above where my mustache is. They are just two very small cuts compared to the big one by the sideburn.

When I told them of the incident, they did a little in-home first aid treatment for me. When I asked about the scarring of the big cut, they said it wasn't serious enough to leave a scar and that all I needed to do was apply neosporin diligently. The lady who performed the treatment for me said she was once trained to be a fireman and knew how to do medical treatments and that when her son fell and got a huge cut on his eye lids that she stitched them herself as well.

They showed me the dog's medication and rabies shot receipts so my main concern is the scarring of the cuts.

We're no strangers. During the few weeks I've been here we've interacted often, eating dinners together, spending time just talking and playing board games, etc. They have been fantastic landlords so far and I don't want to break their bank by going to the hospital if I don't need to.

What do you guys thinK?

Proserpina

hey everyone,

I moved into my current location about 3 weeks ago. It is a basement apartment with the owners living upstairs. I have my own kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom, laundry and entrance. It is a small farm house. They have chickens, roosters, dogs, cats, goats and sheep. They also have vegetables and fruits growing in the yard with their own personal solar panels tucked away in the far corner of their garden.

Today I was playing with their little daughter out in the yard just a few feet away from the doors. The dog must have either felt threatened for the daughter and became defensive or maybe she just got too excited. She went for my hands a couple times very lightly. I felt like she was playing around and just said No each time she did that. And then when I bent over to pick up something from the ground, she went for my face.

There are three cuts on my face. The big one by my left sideburn which is an inch and a half long, .5 centimeters wide and anywhere from .1 to .3 centimeters deep. The other two cuts are right next to my nose to the left side and right above where my mustache is. They are just two very small cuts compared to the big one by the sideburn.

When I told them of the incident, they did a little in-home first aid treatment for me. When I asked about the scarring of the big cut, they said it wasn't serious enough to leave a scar and that all I needed to do was apply neosporin diligently. The lady who performed the treatment for me said she was once trained to be a fireman and knew how to do medical treatments and that when her son fell and got a huge cut on his eye lids that she stitched them herself as well.

They showed me the dog's medication and rabies shot receipts so my main concern is the scarring of the cuts.

We're no strangers. During the few weeks I've been here we've interacted often, eating dinners together, spending time just talking and playing board games, etc. They have been fantastic landlords so far and I don't want to break their bank by going to the hospital if I don't need to.

What do you guys thinK?
I think you need to tell us where you're located.

quincy

hey everyone,

What do you guys thinK?
I think we need to know the name of your state. Laws vary from state to state in some significant ways.

(no wonder my post was taking so long to post - yours was submitted first, Pro)

Last edited:
hey everyone,

What do you guys thinK?
I think the dog was doing his job. He even warned you by the "playful" nip at your hands. he was saying Do Not Touch !!

You didn't listen...

..______________________
~ I'd rather have a good Lawyer than a good friend.

quincy

Located in Kansas City, Missouri. Thanks for the promptness!
We weren't quite so prompt this time, huh? :)

Thank you for providing your state name, Fantality.

It is generally best to have any animal bite to the face checked out by a doctor. While it is obviously good that the dog has had his rabies shots and that you were treated at the scene, animal bites can easily become infected and facial bites can lead to scarring.

Here is a link to "Animal Bites: Who Pays Damages?" from FindLaw: http://injury.findlaw.com/torts-and-personal-injuries/animal-bites-who-pays-damages.html

And here is a link to the Missouri-specific law: http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/27300000361.html

There is a good chance that your landlords' homeowner's insurance will cover any medical expenses.

Last edited:

Fantality

I think the dog was doing his job. He even warned you by the "playful" nip at your hands. he was saying Do Not Touch !!

You didn't listen...

..______________________
~ I'd rather have a good Lawyer than a good friend.
At that point I didn't know if she was being protective or playful. She haven't done any harm to me in the past three weeks i stayed there and I've played with the owner's daughter much more roughly in the presence of this dog before and nothing happened. But you're right, I should have been more careful. But who knows, maybe the dog was just being playful after all and wanted to softly nibble on my face like she did my hands haha.....

Fantality

Quincy it won't let me quote reply you.

Thanks for the info. Should I start by asking if they have homeowner's insurance?

adjusterjack

here is a link to the Missouri-specific law: http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/st...300000361.html
Missouri is a strict liability state for dog bites:

TITLE XVII AGRICULTURE AND ANIMALS
Chapter 273 Dogs--Cats
Section 273.036 Owner liable, when--fine, amount.

273.036. 1. The owner or possessor of any dog that bites, without provocation, any person while such person is on public property, or lawfully on private property, including the property of the owner or possessor of the dog, is strictly liable for damages suffered by persons bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner's or possessor's knowledge of such viciousness. Owners and possessors of dogs shall also be strictly liable for any damage to property or livestock proximately caused by their dogs. If it is determined that the damaged party had fault in the incident, any damages owed by the owner or possessor of the biting dog shall be reduced by the same percentage that the damaged party's fault contributed to the incident. The provisions of this section shall not apply to dogs killing or maiming sheep or other domestic animals under section 273.020.

2. Any person who is held liable under the provisions of subsection 1 of this section shall pay a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars. The remedies provided by this section are in addition to and cumulative with any other remedy provided by statute or common law.

http://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2013/title-xvii/chapter-273/section-273.036/

There is a good chance that your landlords' homeowner's insurance will cover any medical expenses.
Agree.

But since this is a direct liability issue (not just Medical Payments coverage) the claimant could also be entitled to consequential damages for any long term facial scarring.

adjusterjack

Thanks for the info. Should I start by asking if they have homeowner's insurance?
No.

Don't ask "IF" they have homeowners insurance.

Say "Please give me the name of your homeowners insurance company and the policy number so I can file a claim for my injuries."

Then sit down with them while they call their insurance company and report the claim.

And make sure you get professional treatment for your injuries by a medical doctor, not some amateur who can make the cure worse than the disease.

quincy

You could start by asking your landlords if their homeowner's insurance will cover the dog bite. But I would not wait too long to have the dog bites checked out by a doctor, in case stitches are needed, this whether the landlord has insurance coverage or not.

I can't count the number of times that my brother's dogs have "playfully" chewed on my hands and arms, so I know that sometimes dogs just play rough without meaning to injure. But some bites are more serious than others and facial bites can fall into this category.

Although I know you do not want to harm your relationship with your landlords by holding them responsible, they are, in fact, responsible for their dog. With luck, they will accept this responsibility gracefully.

Good luck.

(I already provided a direct link to the law, adjusterjack)

Last edited:

quincy

Thank you all for your help. I will update the thread with the resolution down the road.
We all thank you for the thanks, Fantality.

My hope is that your landlords will readily accept their responsibility and voluntarily pay for your medical exam and any other expenses that might be incurred as a result of the dog bites. I additionally hope that the doctor you see determines that your bites are not serious and should heal nicely on their own without additional treatment.

It will be nice if you can provide us with an update. Good luck.

ecmst12

It would be foolish of you to not go to the hospital immediately. If you wait until the cuts start to heal, that will make repair a lot more difficult or impossible, and make scarring a lot more likely.

Fantality

Quick question guys.

Where would I go to get this treated? Big hospital? Independent clinics? I've never been to any medical center on my own. The only times I went were when I was taken there by my parents when I was little.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">